Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Christmas in October-

Check out the Izotope website- their new RX is amazing...

Charles Maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Christmas in October-

Hello. The presentation they gave in their booth looked very, very good. Of course demos at trade shows are always rehearsed and planned to show things in the best possible light, but if it works as advertised it will be a very good addition indeed. I believe the price will be about $300 bucks for the regular version and about a grand for what they call the Pro version. The difference is that the Pro version gives the user dithering control and the other feature escapes me at the moment.

They were also demoing a hardware variation of this. It was I suppose intended for live broadcast or live to tape, because it's a real time 'adaptive' noise reduction system. The idea being to set it online and forget it. Imagine live talk shows with noisy phone lines or someone out in the field in a noisy environment. Also say the on camera person walks into a very noisy kitchen, the algorithm 'adapts' quickly to that noise print and tries to clean that up. Then they walk out of the kitchen unto a very quiet empty ballroom, the algorithm adapts to that setting, etc. Hence the idea that you don't have to touch the gear. Set it and forget it. Again the demo of this looked very, very good but we'll take that with a grain of salt. And in a live broadcast situation that would be a very ballsy move to put something in line that could very well create some nasty artifacts. But if it works as advertised, it could be a very good tool indeed. This one is being tested still and could be out by next year. We will see.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Check out the Izotope website- their new RX is amazing...

Charles Maynes
Ow...gotta have that!
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks Charles! I downloaded the demo and tried it on a few clips.

The first was some dialogue recorded in a warehouse with some nasty 60Hz buzz. For some reason, I couldn't get the Hum Removal module to do anything. Maybe it's user error, but none of the settings made any difference and when I chose "Output Hum Only" it was silent.

I also had the same problem with the Declicker.

I used the Denoiser on that same clip which worked well but had a similar toilet bowl effect as most of the other NR plugs (no more, no less).

The next clip was more like your typical hissy, white noise interior dialogue. The Denoiser worked really well with very little noticable artifacts.

It definitely looks pretty cool. It makes me feel like I'm on C.S.I. or something. It has a lot more options than any other NR products I've seen. It's a standalaone application (not a plugin) which is kind of weird. On the plus side, you can drag and drop files and batch process all the dialogue before you start cutting. I'm assuming (hoping) that this process won't affect Pro Tools session file links. You don't lose handles like using Audiosuite NR. On the minus side, if you're working on dialogue in a session and you just want to zap noise out of one region, it might be kind of a pain to open RX, locate the file, etc.

It's definitely worth checking out and it's a lot cheaper than Waves Restoration and even cheaper than WaveArts Restoration. I'm going to test it out a little more and if I find anything interesting I'll post it. I'd be curious to hear others' results. Have you tried it Charles?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. This is working for me better than waves restoration or wavearts Master Restoration. I purchased it today. I've never had a noise/hum reduction plug in that worked as well as the Eqium EQ plugin, but RX seems to be working very well. The de-clipper worked great on the couple of clips that I have tried it on. There are a lot of options and controls, I will be using this everyday.

I am very excited!

It says they are working on a plugin version for early 2008. There is also a discount price of $199 until the end of October(!)
Old 10-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. This is working for me better than waves restoration or wavearts Master Restoration. I purchased it today. I've never had a noise/hum reduction plug in that worked as well as the Eqium EQ plugin, but RX seems to be working very well. The de-clipper worked great on the couple of clips that I have tried it on. There are a lot of options and controls, I will be using this everyday.

I am very excited!

It says they are working on a plugin version for early 2008. There is also a discount price of $199 until the end of October(!)
Not only that but purchase now for the early discount price and you get the plug-in when it's released.
This will be my first experience with iZotope, so we'll see how their projected time lines hold up.
It works really well from what i've seen, however as a standalone it would slow me down way too much to seriously use it in most time sensitive Protools workflows.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM

I love the iZotope RX software! I first read about it in a magazine, then I witnessed it at AES NY and downloaded the demo. After a few minutes/ hours of playing and seeing how much I could do and with such ease. I was sold. I've been using it on an indie film that had some horrendous spots in it; pots and pans over dialogue,bad hum, trucks, you name it, it was there. I was able to reduce if not remove 90% of the problems. The spectral repair is amazing. To be able to go in and remove a car horn or someone's voice, without knowing the difference is awesome. The control it gives you is great, and it's a lot of fun to just experiment with too. I recommend getting this one.