Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Simple MIDI controller question (i hope)

Initially i started using Protools free. I had a Sound Blaster live card and was using a simple controller keyboard (via USB) to record midi tracks. Now im assuming (i hope this is correct)that the MIDI sounds were actually running from the soundcard and just controlled or triggered by the controller keyboard and this is where im running into a bit of confusion. Ive just picked up my 002 control surface and cant work out how to get the midi controlled by the keyboard. Should i be plugging it into the computer via USB like before or plugging it into the midi input of the 002 and where is it generating the sound from??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Simple MIDI controller question (i hope)

Anyone?? Please
Old 02-03-2004, 04:52 PM

If your keyboard does not produce its own sounds, then yes the soundcard in your computer should be producing the sounds. I would also assume that you would hook up the keyboard via USB as you did before. If you're using one of those USB only keyboard, there isn't any other way to hook up midi other than USB. The midi port in the keyboard is for hooking up another keyboard or module.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:00 PM

Thanks,
the keyboard did come with a midi cable, up till now i just used the USB cuse it was easier to access on the front panel of the computer. So now that im using the 002 and not a sound card, do i need to get some sort of midi module to generate the sounds or will the 002 do it like a soundcard??
Old 02-03-2004, 05:30 PM

No, nothing has changed except that you have a control surface now (and less dumb-downed software). You haven't posted what keyboard you have so it's alittle difficult to be of assistance.

Your soundcard in the computer will still be making your sounds. You're still using it, it's the only midi sound generator you have so it's the only thing that can make sounds. The 002 doesn't make any sounds, at least not in a midi way (it doesn't have the general midi sound set in it).

BTW: I didn't mean to suggest you're not using the soundcard anymore with the new set up, you are.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the help. The keyboard is a Evolution 249 from memory. Just a really simple controller keyboard that i use of Protools midi & Absynth. Would a seperate midi generator serve me better that the SB live soundcard or not really??
Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 PM

Now that's alittle clearer.

You can only hook up the keyboard via USB. I wouldn't worry about using the computer's soundcard, just use Absynth with the keyboard. Apparently Absynth runs as a stand only (not inside PTLE) with the ASIO driver, so forget about the crappy soundcard's sound set and use Absynth.

I'm not sure how you hook it all up and I'm not gonna even guess, but I'm sure you'll find the answer here with enough searching, or someone else with the a similiar set can answer.

I wouldn't worry about getting a 'separate midi generator' until you get what you have already going. It'll be alot easier to decide what you need or want after you figure out what you have.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM

I think you have the choice to hook it up through the 002, or through USB. What is important for working with ptle is that is shows up in the midi-menu's. With "it" i mean the drivers for the keyboard when you use it over USB (better way i think since it also provides the power probably, and thus removing the need for yet another wallwart).

With the 002 you probably also get either some verison of sampletank and/or some version of reason. Both are "virtual sound-modules", and can be used to get sound into ptle via your keyboard. But there are more options.....

(If you have a collection of SoundFonts, look into the NN-XT in Reason, as it can playback soundfonts....

Bastiaan
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 AM

thanks a lot for all the help and info.
I was just used to using the Protools free setup where i just asign my input as one of the sound card channels and away i go. I did get the added software bundle with the 002 (samplatank etc) so im guessing i would more or less just use that as the input and then trigger the sounds with the controller keyboard. I gotta say im REALLY new to this whole midi thing, ive only really spent time on audio tracks and mixing etc, but i think if i could get my brain to understand the midi aspect of recording i think it would be a great addition and would give me even more flexibility in my recordings. Does anyone know of any good midi sites that explain how the whole thing works and also the software side of it (like using Sampletank like Bastiaan suggested) and soundfonts......
Ive heard these terms being thrown around so often but necer really knew what they meant.
Thanks,
Cheers!