Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 AM

Default OT - cd released, good press, lots of major label attention....

and I got screwed.
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I really don't know what to do here folks. It seems I can't win for losing.

To make a long story short I was in a band up until this time last year. We made a recording at a high cost in a very nice studio. I was all over this recording too... mainly guitar, some bass etc etc...

Well, for a variety of reasons, all of them too stupid to list, i am no longer in the band, not by my choice to be honest. I was fired for reasons that had nothing to do with my enthusiasm, my ability as a musician, my personality, looks... trust me. I had a pissing match argument with the soundman at a club (what an ass) and that didnt set well, so I got the boot.

Now you folks who really know me know I am really slow to anger... and usually shrink from arguments.. oh well, I was provoked, it happened, and that gig is over for me.

Well,the recording has made its way to the surface and beyond.

Although some of my parts were re-recorded (using MY licks too), most of my original work still remains on the record. I got mentioning in the liners for ONE measly song, when I am on most of the other ones and the new member is mentioned as playing MY parts - not me. MY FRIGGIN WORK TOO!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Who cares... the recording is probably going into the crapper anyway.. but wait!! Its getting some good reviews locally, and attracting some major label attention....

WTF.

This seems somewhat like a bad mixerman episode and it is happening to me.

Has this happened to any of you? I am almost wishing I could somehow get my pound of flesh out of them. I wonder should I let it go and forget it or get a lawyer??
Old 04-02-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: OT - cd released, good press, lots of major label attention....

That really stinks.
I think your best bet is to wait and see what the album does. If you sew now you'll get very little or nothing and spend a bundle on a lawyer.
If the album hits it big you'll probably still get nothing because that's a hard thing to prove.
It'll just suck a whole lot more than getting stiffed on an album that goes nowhere.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 04-02-2003, 10:49 AM

Ouch! What kind of agreement (written or verbal) did you have with the band for the dividing of costs, profits, etc. of the recording? If nothing was ever discussed that is a tough one to go back to. If you had at least a verbal agreement then you have something to talk about. Either way if they are using your tracks you should ask them to show you the courtesy of giving you credit where credit is due.
Hindsight is 20 20 but these kind of things are best agreed to upfront in the creation of artistic and intellectual property.

Good luck
Toby
Old 04-02-2003, 10:55 AM

nah it was verbal. I was just part of the band. I had been playing with these jokers for a couple of years.
The least they could have done would be to just record over my parts, but to leave them, and give someone else the credit for my work really really hurts. The sounds are from MY guitar, my strings, and my soul thought up the licks and my fingers played the notes and some other jack-ass is taking the credit.
I publically hope that it flops. BIG TIME.
I know, thats not a very nice thing to think but damn I am really hurt by this.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Well, I hope that it flops too.
If I ever hear the band and like them i'll download the album for free and send you a check. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The best thing you can do is start a new band that blows them away.

Marc
Old 04-02-2003, 04:01 PM

I am honestly afraid to say who they are because I dont want them to get anymore publicity than they deserve.
I would hate for them to see a spike in their webpage hitcounts.
I guess I will just sit back and sulk and hope it bombs...

Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM

Sit back and watch it bomb! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] If it doesn't bomb, [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Don't say a word until the record goes major. Once it is released and gets some attention sue them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'll hook you up with an attorney.

Don't even let them know you are thinking about it. If they know it's going major they might try to buy you out before for pennies (means the record is in the can as is)or record over your parts with the new guy (no buy out - you're out of luck). Good luck!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:16 PM

i hope it sells like crazy. then you can sue them and make millions!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mlemos:
If you sew now you'll get very little or nothing and spend a bundle on a lawyer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, you know what they say - "a stitch in time..." [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mlemos:
If you sew now you'll get very little or nothing and spend a bundle on a lawyer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, you know what they say - "a stitch in time..."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What up dB

I don't think he should hire a lawyer and sew them... I think he should hire Suge Knight and hem em up... Wutchu think?

Nah, I would just let it go. They'll find out soon enough that the world is round. I belive that everything happens for a reason, so I don't sweat it when people do me wrong.