Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Mute and bypass problems

I'm getting a weird bug--
When I mute a track while in automation mode, the action immediate undoes itself.

It shows up as a quick "spike" in the mute track-view (the mute quickly followed by an unmute).
This also happens when I try to automate a plugin "bypass."

This is really making mixing a long, arduous process, as I struggle to set up my mutes (in front of clients, no less).

It happens on both my G5 Dual 2.0 and G4 1.25, which both have new 003 Racks(factory) connected.
Running PT ver 7.3 on OSX 10.4.10.

I fooled around with settings in the preferences, but nothing seems to help.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Mute and bypass problems

Rainbow,

When you say "in automation mode", which one? Touch? Latch?

By what you describe it looks as if you have this setting selected: Preferences > Mixing > Automation > Latching Behavior for Switch Controls in "Touch".

By the way, you can always insert a Trim plugin and automate its Mute parameter instead of automation the track Mute. Or you can load a Trim plugin on a track with already automated Mute and use its the Trim's Mute facility (you can also set it to always mute, and bypass the plugin when you don't want it to mute).

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks Roey.

I believe I unchecked the above-mentioned preference, but I'll look it over again when back in the studio in a few hours.

I use "Touch" mode almost exclusively, but will check the problem in other automation modes.

I will also experiment with the Trim plugin, as you mentioned.
I don't know if that'll lighten the CPU load like muting tracks and bypassing plugins does. Time for me to consider a faster Mac!

I found no posts when seaching the forum for "mute problem" and didn't have a problem while using PT ver 6.7 (switched to ver 7.3 last week), so I'm hoping I overlooked the preference setting.

Thanks again... Aloha!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM

I did have that preference un-checked
(Preferences > Mixing > Automation > Latching Behavior for Switch Controls in "Touch").

When I switch the preference back on and perform a mute on a track, the track will stay muted as long as the song continues to play. When I stop playback, the mute immediately unmutes itself.
So it seems definitely "latched" to playback.

With that preference un-checked again, the mute will immediately unmute itself (within miliseconds) regardless of continuing playback.

It used to stay muted throughout the rest of the song, or until it sees another mute/unmute command written in the track.

Weird.