Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Hollywood Losing the Digital Download Battle

I can't begin to bring as much knowledge and experience in the industry to the table like some many other's on the DUC But as a musician, Ultra small studio owner (OK home studio) and also someone that very much enjoys TV, Movies, and most of all music, I have an opinion. In the past I have downloaded music. Prior to iTunes. And who hasn't taped a movie on HBO with their VCR. But even when tapes were still the preferred media, I payed for them. Didn't have to but I enjoyed the artwork, the bios of who was involved in making the album, and even the smell of the tape. My opinion about piracy is two fold. Yes you will never ever end piracy. Some people don't care if it's right or wrong. But with the advent of iTunes, and now Amazon making music available on a grand scale, with liner notes and better quality songs. iTunes songs sound better than average MP3's, MP4's are larger but the quality is there. By giving people a better product for their money, even if the free version is available, many people will foot the bill, just to enjoy it on a higher level. Compare Blue Ray to a home recorded movie. I'll pay for the Blue Ray, if the price isn't a rip off.
I believe that if the price is fair and the product is worthy, the industry will boom once again. But it's going to take some inventive strategies, and a way to prove that the purchased copies are legitimate, worthy, and lasting.
Sorry if it's a bit of a ramble, but I for one have (as well as a lot of other people I know) am starting to adapt to the new way to purchase music. The iTunes gift card is what made Apple king. Accessibility to the masses. and Amazon has them too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM

There is only one thing from hollywood that I saw this year that blew my mind, and that is Avatar. If hollywood want's to take control of this declining market, that's the quality level the market will pay for. I think blue ray is too little, too late and will be going to go the way of beta, unless they exclusively offer the 3d viewing technology on the blue ray format so people can watch movies like avatar in their living room.

Interestingly enough, I wasn't really impressed with the music for avatar, I'm not sure if that's because I was so immersed in the movie that I just didn't notice it or if it simply wasn't as innovative as the rest of the movie.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM

If movies were like songs, as in $5 for a actual DVD quality movie and you could keep it, burn it, and have the actual format you buy, who wouldn't start buying movies. Accessibility. I buy more media when it's easy. If I have to watch it on my computer I don't buy it. "Come on kids let's gather around the computer desk for a family movie night." You can't burn movies bought on I tunes. It makes me wait till HBO has it, or If it's great, like Avatar I will eventually buy it on Blue Ray. But I would never buy a digital copy.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I'll throw this in the mix:

http://rulesofthumbbook.blogspot.com...-in-rough.html

Not about the entertainment industry at all, yet completely applicable I think...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsey View Post
I'll throw this in the mix:

http://rulesofthumbbook.blogspot.com...-in-rough.html

Not about the entertainment industry at all, yet completely applicable I think...
From your link:

"The most brutal fact of life of all, for a company or a culture, is that its core beliefs no longer fit the circumstances."

Yes, absolutely, and the fact that the circumstances have been accelerating in changing is the most difficult aspect of adjusting our skills to cope with them.
www.tnfilmlocations.com