How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2023, 05:43 AM

Default Recording with a microphone

Hi

I would like to record my Upright bass without using headphones. but have the problem of feedback. I was able to go into preferences and enable mute record-armed tracks while stopped, but as soon as I start play/record on my bass track I get feedback through my monitors. I am using carbon which is connected to my console and routing the bass into a channel on the board via carbon mic input.

Is there anyway to have this track automatically mute upon starting play/record.

Thanks Tony

Protools 2023 ultimate
Mac M2 studio
Tac Scorpion board
Neumann KH monitors
Old 11-27-2023, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Recording with a microphone

With your monitors on, anything playing thru them is also going to end up on your bass track. If you can hear it, so does the mic. Path of least resistance is either use your phones or a pickup. IMHO.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
Hi

I would like to record my Upright bass without using headphones. but have the problem of feedback. I was able to go into preferences and enable mute record-armed tracks while stopped, but as soon as I start play/record on my bass track I get feedback through my monitors. I am using carbon which is connected to my console and routing the bass into a channel on the board via carbon mic input.

Is there anyway to have this track automatically mute upon starting play/record.

Thanks Tony

Protools 2023 ultimate
Mac M2 studio
Tac Scorpion board
Neumann KH monitors
Your post is kind or confusing also note I am not familiar with Scorpion mixer so take with grain of salt

You might want to give significantly more detail and a more accurate description of your signal flow, and work flow method and why you are trying to use the speakers ??

"Signal flow description " wise ,,,,, as far as I know, you cannot "routing the bass into a channel on the board via carbon mic input." given a "carbon mic input" is just that, an "Input",,, and cannot be used to output to a mixing console channel ????????

However for example you can run a mic for the bass into a Carbon mic input, have that mic input be the input for a bass track in PT.
Then you could route the output of that bass track into a channel on the console via the DB25 analog line output on the Carbon
Then route from the Console back into the Carbon via the DB25 analog line in

Not clear why you would do that , or what that would accomplish ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-27-2023, 07:36 AM

I am also suggesting using headphones is the path of least resistance. Having said that, IF(the big "if") you don't mind bleed into the bass track(assuming you are trying to play with other instruments already recorded), you could simply mute the bass track while recording(it will still record just fine).

Why are you opposed to headphones? If its a comfort factor, maybe switching to some earbuds might be a solution(but probably not wireless or Bluetooth due to possible latency). In my Nashville studio, I had several players that would bring their in-ear monitors to use instead of headphones

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2023, 07:44 AM

It's simple, all I want to do is record a track with a mic with the monitors on, but have that track muted to the monitors when recording, then on playback the track would be unmuted. I don't know if this is possible LOL
It's just I want to record my bass without headphones, and not have to mute my board whenever I hit record.

Thanks for replying.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:05 AM

Check out muteomatic from Sound Radix. It's free.
Even tho it's not written for your special scenario, I think it should work for you.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
It's simple, all I want to do is record a track with a mic with the monitors on, but have that track muted to the monitors when recording, then on playback the track would be unmuted. I don't know if this is possible LOL
It's just I want to record my bass without headphones, and not have to mute my board whenever I hit record.

Thanks for replying.
Are you recording in the same room that the monitors are sending out signal? As sw rec already mentioned, anything going out the monitors will also be recorded on the mic. Simply muting the microphone monitoring path does not resolve this?

Recording 101.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:06 AM

If you can hear your upright acoustically, why not just mute the recorded channel so it is not going to monitors?
Old 11-27-2023, 10:23 AM

I think they don't want the muting 'hustle' and just hit play and hear the recording, or record and don't hear the signal going through the mic.
I'm quite sure there isn't a playback involved either. Wouldn't make sense at all.
Like I said, check out muteomatic, it can be set to mute while in record and unmute while in playback.

Edit: Load the plug-in onto your record track and set it up as shown on the attached image and you should be good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 19.27.01.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 10:46 AM

In Setup, unlink Play and Record Faders. Leave the Play Fader on your Track at Zero. Arm the Track and pull the Record Fader to the bottom. When the Track is in Play, you will hear what's on the Track. When the Track is in Record, no signal will pass out of the Track, but your signal will be recorded.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction