Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2023, 12:33 PM

Default Help: Avid Artist Mix is recognised in EuControl but then loses connection

Hi, I have a problem with my Avid Artist Mix controller that is recognised in EuControl software, but then drops out after about 2 minutes every time. It also drops out when I start up Pro Tools.

I've read as many threads on this forum about this problem but I can't seem to find any thread with the same issue, so starting this new thread.

I have installed the latest EuControl software on my MacBook Pro M1 2021:
EUCON_WorkstationUnifiedInstallMac_2023_11_0_121.d mg which I downloaded from my Avid account's download centre.

My setup is (as also listed in signature below):
Pro Tools Artist 2023
Apple MacBook Pro M1 2021
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Audient ID14 USB Audio interface
Avid Artist Mix controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard

I've bought a separate USB3.0 Gigabit Lan ethernet connector (USB 10/100 LAN) to connect the ethernet cable to USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook Pro's port - I've tried all three ports but same issue.

For troubleshooting, I've checked other posts here on the forum on this issue and I've checked:
- In System Prefs > Network: USB 10/100 LAN is set to IPv4 Configured Using DHCP
- Starting up the Avid Artist Mix by holding Page< + Page> is set to use DHCP on the unit
- EUCON Control Surfaces is clicked active in Pro Tools > Peripherals

The strange thing is that my Avid Artist Mix is coming up in EuControl (after I restart the unit):

(attached screenshot: EuControl Avid Artist Mix recognised)

but then I get this error message in EuControl saying:

'Network error. Unable to connect the unit named "Artist Mix".

(attached screenshot: EuControl error message)

In another EUCON thread on this forum, there was a discussion on the correct ethernet cable type to use for EUCON, and from what I understood in that thread is that (especially for MacBook users), a normal ethernet Cat5e cable would work, and that it was not required to use a crossover ethernet cable - is this correct? I've bought 3 new ethernet cables in the last few days to try and make sure it's not a cable issue and this is the cable type I've bought:

RJ45 Ethernet Patch Lead Cat5e Network LAN Cable (normal, not crossover)

For all of these brand new three ethernet cables, I still have the same issue.

Would it matter that my USB3.0 Gigabit Lan ethernet connector (USB 10/100 LAN) is not 1000? I'm trying to get some feedback here from the forum before starting to buy new ethernet USB connectors to troubleshoot.

Thanks a lot if anyone would have any input on this, would really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EuControl Avid Artist Mix recognised.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png EuControl error message.png (41.5 KB, 0 views)

Pro Tools Artist 2023
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Old 11-26-2023, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Help: Avid Artist Mix is recognised in EuControl but then loses connection

If connecting directly to your computer and not a router you should try setting up the Artist mix with a static IP.

Make sure the correct port is selected in Mac Preferences>Eucon.

Do you also have an Ethernet connected to the computer for internet?
Old 12-04-2023, 07:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: Help: Avid Artist Mix is recognised in EuControl but then loses connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSkipton View Post
Hi, I have a problem with my Avid Artist Mix controller that is recognised in EuControl software, but then drops out after about 2 minutes every time. It also drops out when I start up Pro Tools.

I've read as many threads on this forum about this problem but I can't seem to find any thread with the same issue, so starting this new thread.

I have installed the latest EuControl software on my MacBook Pro M1 2021:

EUCON_WorkstationUnifiedInstallMac_2023_11_0_121.d mg which I downloaded from my Avid account's download centre.

My setup is (as also listed in signature below):

Pro Tools Artist 2023

Ventura 13.4.1

16 Gb RAM

Solid state internal HDD

I've bought a separate USB3.0 Gigabit Lan ethernet connector (USB 10/100 LAN) to connect the ethernet cable to USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook Pro's port - I've tried all three ports but same issue.

For troubleshooting, I've checked other posts here on the forum on this issue and I've checked:

- In System Prefs > Network: USB 10/100 LAN is set to IPv4 Configured Using DHCP

- Starting up the Avid Artist Mix by holding Page< + Page> is set to use DHCP on the unit

- EUCON Control Surfaces is clicked active in Pro Tools > Peripherals

The strange thing is that my Avid Artist Mix is coming up in EuControl (after I restart the unit):

(attached screenshot: EuControl Avid Artist Mix recognised)

but then I get this error message in EuControl saying:

'Network error. Unable to connect the unit named "Artist Mix".

(attached screenshot: EuControl error message)

In another EUCON thread on this forum, there was a discussion on the correct ethernet cable type to use for EUCON, and from what I understood in that thread is that (especially for MacBook users), a normal ethernet Cat5e cable would work, and that it was not required to use a crossover ethernet cable - is this correct? I've bought 3 new ethernet cables in the last few days to try and make sure it's not a cable issue and this is the cable type I've bought:

RJ45 Ethernet Patch Lead Cat5e Network LAN Cable (normal, not crossover)

For all of these brand new three ethernet cables, I still have the same issue.

Would it matter that my USB3.0 Gigabit Lan ethernet connector (USB 10/100 LAN) is not 1000? I'm trying to get some feedback here from the forum before starting to buy new ethernet USB connectors to troubleshoot.

Thanks a lot if anyone would have any input on this, would really appreciate it!
What happens if you pull the power to the mix, not press the power button. And then ug it back in.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2024, 09:46 AM

Hi,

I have the same issue as well, with the exact same window popping up.

I'm using an M2 Max Mac Studio and MacOS 14.2 Sonoma.

Did you get anywhere with this issue?

Thanks
Jox
Old 03-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxepo View Post
Hi,

I have the same issue as well, with the exact same window popping up.

I'm using an M2 Max Mac Studio and MacOS 14.2 Sonoma.

Did you get anywhere with this issue?

Thanks
Jox
How is it connected to the Mac and what does it go through?
Old 03-19-2024, 12:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

It is directly connected through the only ethernet cable and slot that the Mac Studio has. It doesn't go through anything else, just a ethernet out from the Artist Mix into the ethernet in on the Mac Studio.

Eucon version is 2023.11. I have tried with an older version of Eucon but it was exactly the same issue.

The network settings on both the Mac and the Artist are DHCP (not manual, just automatic).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-19-2024, 08:13 AM
Avid

We have found that putting a dumb small network switch in between helps with this issue. The ports on the newer Macs are not that forgiving.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:25 AM

Thank you, I've bought a network switch and I'll try it as soon as it gets here.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:38 AM

Hi Eddie, you were right, buying a cheap ethernet splitter did the job. The Artist Mix worked as soon as I connected it through the splitter!

Thank you for the solution.

Cheers
Jox