Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Two S1s versus S3: worth revisiting in light of lower used S3 prices

I'm currently using an MC Mix and MC Control along with an iPad running latest Avid Control. It's a wonder these old Euphonix units still work.

I'd been interested in updating to a "newer" control surface. I don't have much space on my desk. I'd like 16 faders, so adding the Avid Dock is a no go for me. In the short term I'm thinking of pouncing on the next decent used MC Mix I can find (that doesn't have the telltale vertical scoring next to the fader slot indicating the plastic case is bulging and the fader caps are dragging) and running two MC Mix units side by side and the iPad with Avid Control on a stand. Seems to me this is a great budget setup.

However... I'd like color coding and more features, including compatibility with plugin mapping and MC/Artist series don't support this.

I have seen comparisons of the merits of two S1 units versus one S3. For many reasons the form factor of the S3 would work better for me as the height of the S1 with a tablet would be a problem. Plus I like the better build quality of the S3.

However, in the past when the S3 would set you back $5k, there seemed to be a consensus that for most people, two S1s would be preferable. And that made sense. But I'm seeing online prices for used S3s drop significantly. Probably related to Avid announcing support would end at the end of 2026. S3s in excellent condition can be had for $2400 or less now. This seems to change the equation.

Just wondering what others think in light of the price of used units? I really am drawn to the S3 and no reason it won't still work well even for a few years after the 2026 and for around 2K, I'm itching to pull the trigger on a clean used one. Even though I cant fit a Dock on my desk, combined with Avid Control on my iPad on articulating stand, seems like it would be pretty good setup.

I also know the S3 has an audio interface built in. I don't really see myself buying it for that purpose. I'm currently using a MOTU 828es and MOTU 24Ai, but those units do support AVB (my 24Ai is daisy-chained off the 828es via ethernet cable). So it's conceivable I could get an AVB compatible switcher at some point and integrate the S3's audio capabilities into my overall system in the future. I haven't figured exactly for what purpose, but you know how these things are. You get it and then you end up discovering a good use. But that's really beside the point... if I use for nothing else than a Eucon controller, at 2K, seems worthy of serious consideration.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Two S1s versus S3: worth revisiting in light of lower used S3 prices

How are S3 faders lasting? And are spares easily available? Likely to be in future? They were pretty...
Old 09-10-2023, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Two S1s versus S3: worth revisiting in light of lower used S3 prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How are S3 faders lasting? And are spares easily available? Likely to be in future? They were pretty...

That’s a good point. I suppose if I go that way, it might be a good idea to keep my eyes out for a deal on busted unit in bad shape to cannibalize for parts someday in the future. I know a brilliant tech who I’m sure could repair if I had parts.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:48 PM

I would have no problem buying 2nd hand S3, but I would make it future-proof by buying two spare faders at the same time.

Still using DigiDesign C|8 for monitor mixing (since 2007) but have had to replace two faders so far.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Steele View Post
That’s a good point. I suppose if I go that way, it might be a good idea to keep my eyes out for a deal on busted unit in bad shape to cannibalize for parts someday in the future. I know a brilliant tech who I’m sure could repair if I had parts.
I was hoping Eddie or somebody else might know if there is plentiful spares. It's a nice idea as they lower in price.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I was hoping Eddie or somebody else might know if there is plentiful spares. It's a nice idea as they lower in price.

Indeed! They are starting to become a real bargain. Like I said, they can be had for just over $2K these days. I don’t know if it’s a safe prediction, but it would not surprise me if in a year or so they drop even further.

Also, depending on what Eddy says, it would be nice if Avid would sell some spare fader assemblies to current owners to keep on hand. If there’s a shortage, then limit it to one or two per verified owner?
Old 09-10-2023, 05:20 PM

Personally, I think the S3 form factor is perfect. Fairly low profile and not overly wide. You’ll also get a secondary row of encoders so 32 in total as opposed to 16 with 2 x S1s.

But, they’re no longer a current product so spares etc. may become an issue. At the right price, it would definitely be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Personally, I think the S3 form factor is perfect. Fairly low profile and not overly wide.
This is my main reason for wanting one.

Quote:
But, they’re no longer a current product so spares etc. may become an issue. At the right price, it would definitely be worth it.
Which is exactly why they’re currently going for just over $2k on the used market. A far cry from the $5k list price new. Used prices will probably continue to drop. I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on a used unit. If I have to keep my eye open for cosmetically thrashed / partially damaged unit for cheap to use for spare parts, I’m willing to do that.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:19 PM

I could swear that I read somewhere that the reason they made EOL for the S3 is because they could not continue to get parts to manufacture them. I don’t know which parts exactly.

Either way, I would never spend 2K on an EOL product knowing full well that parts may not be available. There’s a lot to gain with the S1’s and if you don’t need the AVB of the S3 then you’re paying for features you just don’t need and losing out on features the S1 has.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Either way, I would never spend 2K on an EOL product knowing full well that parts may not be available. There’s a lot to gain with the S1’s and if you don’t need the AVB of the S3 then you’re paying for features you just don’t need and losing out on features the S1 has.
You get nicer faders IIRC and two rows of knobby things.

And the details of any parts challenges is exactly what I'd like to see confirmed or not. Not being able to manufacture because some silicon chip might not be available is one thing (and which is unlikely to fail... or you scavenge parts) vs. faders that esp. tend to wear out and I'd personally prefer to replace with new not used seem pretty different to me.

I also wonder if the $5k price point might have limited the S3 sales so Avid is just not too worried about manufacturing it anyhow. And yes the S1 has obvious benefits as well, starting with the Avid Control iPad/tablet thingy.