Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 10:01 PM

Default Midi FX, arpeggiator is awful

Hi, there doesn't seem to be a midi fx subforum yet, so I am guessing this is still the right place to post as it's something included in PT.

Anyway -

I can't *stand* the new midi FX arpeggiator in PT, in fact it's the worst arpeggiator plugin I have ever used in my 32 years of making music. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's been driving me crazy for the last hour. We finally get midi plugins and we get this.

It's not that it isn't capable, in fact it's very powerful - the problem is it's so stupidly complicated that all I want to do is a simple down arpeggiator cycling between the 3 chord notes downwards, and I can't work it out! It seems I have to draw in the notes I want to arpeggiate, so that's a step sequencer, 1, and 2, why not just use the piano roll in PT then and press command D to duplicate?

If I am missing something, PLEASE tell me how to do a simple downwards, single octave, arpeggiator cycle between the notes I am pressing.
I will thank you forever and I think others will too. Plus it might help in understanding this thing for future endeavours and needs.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Midi FX, arpeggiator is awful

I'm not certain because I've only really studied the routing component of the MIDI chain in system so far and how that relates to sending the data to other sources to monitor and print, and it's general limitations.

To me I just would always do this stuff in the MIDI editor instead. It will always be more powerful and useful in my opinion for so many reasons.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 03-24-2024, 02:23 AM

yeah..Doesn't seem great..cthulhu works wonderfully though..
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
yeah..Doesn't seem great..cthulhu works wonderfully though..
Does cthulu operate as a midi plugin now or still work like other aax with a midi out?
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

I would have thought my above answer implied it, but yeah, it works as a midi plugin..