Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Avid

Default Re: Help: Anyone knows correct network settings for fixed IP for Artist Mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh please. Using DHCP might be a good recommendation for most users but DHCP does not "rule out any misconfiguration". It might reduce some types of misconfigurations, and it can introduce others.

The DHCP server can be misconfigured, you can have other devices on the network with conflicting IP addressees that the DHCP server may blindly hand out. There might unintentionally be multiple DHCP servers. The DHCP server can suffer errors/failures. etc. There is a whole class of Pro Tools bouncing in the doc startup problems caused by Macs blindly using ******** route information handed out by router DHCP.

---

Oh I've disagreed with Eddie, I feel so horrible :-(
It would take a lot to upset me (considering what I see and hear) so don't be afraid of that. Sure, DHCP is not the golden bullet...but I guarantee Dave doesn't know all about subnets....and setting static IP's has all the same issues you list for DHCP.....for instance if there a DHCP on the network (which he clearly has) and he then sets IP's that are the same as the DHCP server is handing out..... My recommendations are from 20 years of helping 50000 customers
Old 03-06-2024, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Help: Anyone knows correct network settings for fixed IP for Artist Mix?

Again a massive thanks to you both EddieJones and Darryl! Great input!

I travelled by plane the other day and had the Avid Artist Mix with me in the hand luggage, it triggered the security check (electronics), they security guy said he would re-scan my bag, and then I took my bag and went to the gate. When I got to my destination after flying, I noticed that the security guy forgot to put my Artist Mix back in my bag, so I've now confirmed with the lost luggage team at that airport that they've got my Artist Mix there. I'm staying here for a few weeks now so can't continuing troubleshooting without it.

As soon as I get back to London and get my Artist Mix back again, I'll check your tips and will continue to troubleshoot.

EddieJones, the issue that I had last time I tried was that I set both my Belkin USB-C ethernet adapter to DHCP in my MacBook System Prefs > Network (and switched off WiFi), and the Artist Mix was also set to DHCP.

On the Artist Mix and I can see that it has been assigned the DHCP IP address:

and when I check the Belkin adapter in the network settings, I can see that it's green and Connected status, and it's set to DHCP with the IP address:

so this seems to be good so far since the Artist Mix and my MacBook pro have IP addresses in the same range (but not the exact same IP address).

The subnet mask was set to: 255.255.255.0

I've got the latest EuControl software version installed, but the Artist Mix only comes up maybe around every third time I start up, and when I click on it to add it to the list, it disappears again and EuControl shows this message:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4u3az...ilpcb8zqh&dl=0

I'll try this DHCP again when I get back to London, and I'll also try again the static IP address method.

I'm trying to eliminate the different issues:
- I know that the Belkin USB-C ethernet adaptor is working since I'm using it for internet now (with WiFi disconnected)
- I know that the ethernet cables I'm using are all working since I've tested them with the Belkin USB-C ethernet adaptor (and WiFi off), and they are all working
- I've got the latest EuControl software for Mac installed, and I've tried to uninstall it (and remove user prefs) and then install it again
- From what I understand, when using the DHCP method that I described above, I'm having correct IP addresses and subnet mask assigned to both the Artist Mix and my MacBook Pro (through the Belkin adaptor).

Could there be any issues which type of ethernet cables I'm using? I know 100% sure that they are both working (tested them), but could the type of ethernet cable have issues with the setup? I bought brand new ethernet cables and these are the types I'm using:

RJ45 Ethernet Patch Lead Cat5e Network LAN Cable (2m)
2m Cat5e UTP Hooded Black Ethernet Networking Cable

Could there be any other hardware factors that could be causing problems? If not, then I could isolate the issue to networking issues.

I'll get back with an update in about 3 weeks when I get back to London.

Thanks both of you for your valuable input on this!

Pro Tools Artist 2023
Apple MacBook Pro M1 2021
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Audient ID14 USB Audio interface
Avid Artist Mix controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard
Old 03-06-2024, 10:32 AM

The network stuff looks OK for what you have described, class C network subnet masks (255.255.255.0) with the cable router, Mac and Eucon surface on using part of the non-routable (192.168.x.x) address range. Devices all on one cable router/switch.

I would still do the test of pinging the surface from the Mac once you get that error. If ping works (with consistent low latency ~few ms) then it's very unlikely to be a network problem and Eddie likely has more ideas what to look at.

If ping fails, or has erratic latencies/dropped packets at all times or becomes so once you see that Eucon error then I would troubleshoot networking more by connecting the Eucon surface and Mac with an short Ethernet cable (no routers/hubs/switches) and setting up static IP address on the Mac and on the surface. You can reuse the same IP addresses and netmasks as DHCP handed out, but just enter them manually on both the Mac and surface. Make sure no other network devices are connected to the mac and WiFi is off. Repeat the same tests like that.

Do you have any VPN or third party firewall/security or other networking software installed on the Mac?

Was this ever working OK? What changed? Does it work OK at other locations with the same Mac?

---

The 2m Ethernet cables are just from the Mac to RJ45 wall outlets correct?... that then run downstairs? What is hidden in the wall may be more important that the cables to get to the wall, and access to the Internet might work OK for the Mac, but you don't know if the other physical link from the router/switch back to the Eucon surface is reliable. You hopefully know that there are no other devices on the net with conflicting IP addresses, but it can still happen. And other things might still be possible like the Mac getting its networking screwed up.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-06-2024 at 10:49 AM.