Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2023, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Recording with a microphone

And the single critical piece of information is missing here. Is the bass being played along to existing tracks or not?

If yes, then as already said... who is going to accept all that bleed to the mic? Use headphones.

In not. Just mute the track while recording. Or split the monitoring and playback fader and pull down the monitoring fader on that track. Or use a muting plugin... lots of ways to do this.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
In Setup, unlink Play and Record Faders. Leave the Play Fader on your Track at Zero. Arm the Track and pull the Record Fader to the bottom. When the Track is in Play, you will hear what's on the Track. When the Track is in Record, no signal will pass out of the Track, but your signal will be recorded.
Good idea, but then you always have to disarm the track to be able to hear the playback.
Otherwise the record fader will still be activated.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:25 AM

If you are hellbent on not using headphones then you must ensure the NULL of the mic is pointing towards the monitors. Hope the mic isn't an omni

What is the mic? Also try to get as far away from the monitors as possible.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-27-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
It's simple, all I want to do is record a track with a mic with the monitors on, but have that track muted to the monitors when recording, then on playback the track would be unmuted. I don't know if this is possible LOL
It's just I want to record my bass without headphones, and not have to mute my board whenever I hit record.

Thanks for replying.
OK if I am understanding you ?? then yes it is entirely possible to simply mute the bass track while recording then un-mute for playback. The track will still record what is hitting input to the track, because the Mute is on the track output
BTW (if you don't already know the little track mute button (M) is just under the pan knob on the track mixer channel,, or under the track name in the edit window ) -- WITH the caveat, as others have said, that you will not be able to hear the mic'ed output of bass, only what ever un amplified acoustic sound it makes in the room . But you will be able to hear any unmuted tracks that may be playing

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-27-2023, 12:25 PM

“But you will be able to hear any unmuted tracks that may be playing.”

And again, so will your mic. Are you SURE you want that playback on your bass track???
Old 11-27-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilILönneberga View Post
Good idea, but then you always have to disarm the track to be able to hear the playback.
Otherwise the record fader will still be activated.
I haven't used (or seen) a Scorpion in 30 years or so.

What you want to do is not a recording best practice. You'll have to accept some workarounds. There is a reason using cans is a common workflow and has been since Les Paul and Rein Narma were rearranging magnetic fields on rusty plastic.

There have been a couple of good suggestions. I'd route an aux to whatever outputs on the interface drive the monitors. Then don't bus the bass to that aux.

You could use the DAW like a tape deck and the console like a traditional analog workflow. Drive the speakers from the monitor out on the Scorpion. Route the master from the DAW to a tape return. Solo a foldback send (IIRC that's what they were called on the Scorpion) and don't route the bass to that send. When you want to play back engage the tape return and mute your inputs.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
“But you will be able to hear any unmuted tracks that may be playing.”

And again, so will your mic. Are you SURE you want that playback on your bass track???
Good point unfortunately the OP has never actually indicated exactly why he is wants to record with the monitors on,,, as both Darrel and I noted , so we are left to only speculate it is to overdub which is arguably the only reason to have the speakers on...... But since the OP seems unwilling to entertain the idea of using HeadPhones and solving the issue easily > I thought just give what he thinks he wants and let him learn the lesson for himself

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-27-2023, 02:48 PM

Thanks The Weed

Yes that's what I want,, I am only doing it this way because it is a practice session with just myself, and I want to record an exercise and be able to play it back right away without hitting mute switches or using headphones.

Can you explain more in detail about the play fader,, do you mean a master fader? sorry if I am asking these basic questions

Thanks, Tony
Old 11-27-2023, 04:42 PM

No, it's the Fader on the Track you are recording on. Using the unlink preference you are splitting the Track fader in two. One Fader is for Playback and one Fader for Record.

However, you still have to take the Track out of Record to hear any Playback. It's one click on the Record button, but it's only one click on the Mute button too.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-27-2023, 05:03 PM

What is a play fader