Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2023, 07:08 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyBarry View Post
Please remember that apple silicon version was released few days ago with 2022.12, how this works for you, mac studio users?
I threw caution to the wind and booted up 2022.12 in Silicon mode yesterday. Playback was very snappy, but given that only about 40% of my plug-ins are Apple Silicon-ready, I couldn't make any performance comparisons between Rosetta and AS. I'll try again in a few months when more plugs are ready.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:41 AM

reichman, do the non-arm plugins load and work in the native version or are they simply ignored?
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 01-06-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I threw caution to the wind and booted up 2022.12 in Silicon mode yesterday. Playback was very snappy, but given that only about 40% of my plug-ins are Apple Silicon-ready, I couldn't make any performance comparisons between Rosetta and AS. I'll try again in a few months when more plugs are ready.
That's is what I am doing. I am off now anyway, but have done a few tests and it's really speedy with some things here in Native mode, but I am already so much faster than what I had been with the new Mac Studio Ultra from my old (2013) Mac Pro trash can, that the new Mac Studio is a marked improvement is so many ways for me with things that I can load more VI's for one thing, as well as plugins.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-06-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
reichman, do the non-arm plugins load and work in the native version or are they simply ignored?
Ignored. When you open your session, Pro Tools reports a list of what plug-ins are missing. It's the same window we've seen for years when you open a session that asks for plug-ins you don't own. Then, in the mix window, you can see the names of the plug-ins, but they're greyed-out.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:34 AM

oh, that's not good... So the transition to ARM will take some time I guess.
I hoped ProTools would be able to run Intel Plugins in a separate process like Reaper does.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 01-09-2023, 11:33 AM

So, if I’m following this correctly, in Silicon mode, it won’t allow your Intel-based plugs to run under Rosetta, or is there a workaround?
Got a new Studio M1 Max on standby, but not in a big hurry to switch over quite yet.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
So, if I’m following this correctly, in Silicon mode, it won’t allow your Intel-based plugs to run under Rosetta, or is there a workaround?
Correct. Some people use Blue Cat's Patchwork to load Intel plugins but that's not the same thing and a little clumsy in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Got a new Studio M1 Max on standby, but not in a big hurry to switch over quite yet.
It's still lightning fast when using Rosetta.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:19 AM

I appreciate that this thread has already covered lots of ground, so hopefully still on-topic and the best place to quickly quiz current owners ...

I set up my new Mac Studio M2 Max yesterday ... and lo and behold, it has an annoying constant whine. It sits approximately 0.5m from my right ear and is easily audible in my otherwise quiet room. However, what surprised me is that this noise remains even when the Mac has been shut down. I've tried connected via my APC SMT750 Pure Sine Wave UPS, as well as connected directly to mains power. The following review (under 'Power management') measures 0.63w when off, so I guess this might be a PSU problem:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-....752807.0.html

My question to fellow Mac Studio users (especially interested in M2 Max models) is whether yours makes any noise when shut down. I've found many users claiming that their unit is absolutely silent (even when operating), so just wish to rule out whether my version of 'silent' is subjectively different to theirs?!

Does your Mac Studio make any noise even when switched off or is it completely silent?
Old 10-08-2023, 06:50 AM

“My question to fellow Mac Studio users (especially interested in M2 Max models) is whether yours makes any noise when shut down. I've found many users claiming that their unit is absolutely silent (even when operating), so just wish to rule out whether my version of 'silent' is subjectively different to theirs?!

Does your Mac Studio make any noise even when switched off or is it completely silent?”

Completely silent. So is the Sonnet expansion chassis. Gotta be honest, it’s exactly what I’d expect when it’s “off.”
Old 10-08-2023, 07:14 AM

A very big kudos to Apple, finally this is how it should be.

Also my fully loaded M1 Mini is "completely silent", and M2 Air is "dead silent" as it does not even have any moving parts (besides the display hinge, obviously.

I still have nightmares of my then-great liquid cooled G5 Quad. It was noisy, and it required A LOT OF power.