Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2022, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Will there be an Avid S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with that
Possibly. But it's just a fact that we now can mix without something that mimics a large format analog console, and thus we can also have better monitoring, without all the downsides that bringing huge equipment to the front, between the listener and the LCR (or LR) speakers bring. A "mastering-style" minimalist operating position can benefit the soundstage so much.

(And I'm still in the LFAC mimicry trap myself with the 24-fader D-Command, but hoping to fix it more and more while still retaining fader control for large and complex mixes.)

On a personal note this also has to do with early middle age and what it does to our eyesight - I need a maximally large computer screen as close as possible but so that it still doesn't interfere with the audio monitoring. A LFAC-style surface is extremely counter-productive to that (and having a screen not centered in the operating position would be even worse for fluid working, of course - no matter how well featured a controller I might have).
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:22 PM

I hope not. I wish Avid would get out of the console business. I just finish a mix on an S3 and I found it the worst controller I've used. They should have kept the Icon series, Eucon control is not where it needs to be. it's enough to make me retire as I can no longer tolerate the degree of disrespect audio gets.

tired...
Old 12-16-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with that
100^ agree however it WOULD be a great product in the line or it WOULD have been great if 2 S3’s would have worked together from launch but S6/S4 are absolutely needed as ”some” of us like to work with larger controllers and Desks so a small S1 or 3 is not for us nor mid to larger studios at all.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-16-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedisteph View Post

….it's enough to make me retire as I can no longer tolerate the degree of disrespect audio gets.

tired...
What disrespect are you talkiing about??

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-16-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedisteph View Post
I hope not. I wish Avid would get out of the console business. I just finish a mix on an S3 and I found it the worst controller I've used. They should have kept the Icon series, Eucon control is not where it needs to be. it's enough to make me retire as I can no longer tolerate the degree of disrespect audio gets.

tired...
I went through an adjustment period when I committed to S3/Dock. Once in a while I find myself in front of a D-Command and there are some really nice features, but overall I don't miss ICON. Eucon is so much more customizable. You would probably appreciate S4/S6. Without Avid, there would be a gaping hole in the control surface market. I don't want to sound rhetorical, but what would we use? Yamaha Nuage? Lawo? SSL System T?
Old 12-16-2022, 10:27 AM
Avid

Love that you guys are comparing a $60000 control surface with a $5000 one
Old 12-16-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiejones View Post
love that you guys are comparing a $60000 control surface with a $5000 one

hahah. Yup
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-16-2022, 12:49 PM

Sorry don't agree, I mix fast and if you are comfortable with the S3 then I question how much time and proper editing you receive. A one man job on film is a struggle in 5 days. The s6 sucks as a big console from the older board we use to use like DFC.

Disrespect is telling studio to buy these cheap things and say it's as good as it was. How come the grading room has their tools? We get toys. That is disrespect. Mind you I'm in Canada where the rates are far cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:29 PM

While the price/functionality ratio of S3/Dock is off the charts, Eddie is right, it's better to compare S4/S6 to D-Command/Control and DFC. But when I'm in the middle of a complex mix, and there's a ton of automation and tricky things going on, I feel like the MTM (or even the Dock) helps me keep a grip. VCA spills, Punch Preview, Snapshots, Auto Match... all of those functions are on ICON, but I feel like the access is quicker on Eucon and I get more feedback from the console. The little green lights all over the board on S6 while in Preview, the delta automation lines on the S6 display module... brilliant.

We can agree to disagree! And I really would like to hear what works well for you on ICON and DFC. I've never mixed on a DFC.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:39 PM

I can pan , Eq and mix multiple Faders on Icon and any console made prior. Cannot do that on a S3, barely on an S6. If I have to look down while mixing then it's a poor tool. Keep in mind I only mix and see tracks when I sit in the chair on day one. So S3 is for home and small projects not big film mixes. Just my opinion. Retiring anyways as this industry blows now.