Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Complete Production Tool Kit - Pre Sales Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charazard View Post
Hey guys,

Not trying to hijack the thread, but have any of you used the Complete Production Toolkit on a Windows computer and worked in surround sessions.

[snip]

To give you guys an idea, my surround sessions would probably only need about 40 stereo/mono audio tracks, a few VCA's, a few 5.1 stem and monitor tracks, and a main 5.1 master.

All views and opinions are extremely appreciated!
Not on a PC, but I do that kind of work on an 8-core Mac Pro all the time without issue. I think you should be fine with CPTK and a decked out PC with plenty of ram and fast hard drives.

Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Don't know the answer to this, so perhaps someone can confirm, but would the HD10 demo not give an idea of how CPTK would perform on your machine?
Just in case anyone in the future is wondering. I tried installing the demo for Pro Tools HD to see if I can test out the dick cache feature that you get with the CPTK, but it won't run Pro Tools cause it says it can't locate the hardware.

It was worth a shot.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
I tried installing the demo for Pro Tools HD to see if I can test out the dick cache feature that you get with the CPTK...
Yeah, that "Dick Cache" can be a savior sometimes, especially on older hardware.

Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM

After reading the thread, I thought I'd give it a try.

And if you have Pro Tools 10 installed on your computer, and you get the trial for HD, so you get an HD license on your ilok, you don't need to download anything, and can test out the CPTK features for 30 days.
Pro Tools 10.0
Apogee Duet
M-Audio BX5A's
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
Just in case anyone in the future is wondering. I tried installing the demo for Pro Tools HD to see if I can test out the dick cache feature that you get with the CPTK, but it won't run Pro Tools cause it says it can't locate the hardware.

It was worth a shot.
Do you have the drivers for your interface installed? If it's saying it can't find the hardware sounds like a driver issue. It should run on any hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Do you have the drivers for your interface installed? If it's saying it can't find the hardware sounds like a driver issue. It should run on any hardware.
Ah! Thanks, My test system didn't have the hardware on it. I thought that was a new feature that the new pro tools didn't require hardware so I left it off. But the HD trial does work with an m-audio hardware.

Also as someone in here stated, my 32 bit plugin is still limited to the 32 bit RAM limit with the disk cache mode. I'm not sure why others told me it would work, unless they had some kind of work around setup I'm not thinking of. So I guess that's that. I'm glad I got the trial first.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM

They def could have been a little more clear with the "no hardware necessary" statement. Some kind of hardware is necessary. Just not an avid/Digi interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk