Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2001, 04:49 PM

Default External Firewire storage drive (Does 001 support yet)

I was searching for an answer but couln't find one. I was looking at the Lacie 40 GB drive to store songs. Also on that Lacie can I hook up a screen to the hard drive and do all of my stuffing and burning w/ that drive to free up my G3 for recording time.?.? Sorry if the questions sound stupid, and of course I truly appreciate any help...

Trash Man
Old 01-19-2001, 12:37 AM

Default Re: External Firewire storage drive (Does 001 support yet)

Someone? Anyone?...???
Old 01-19-2001, 09:45 AM

I think external Firewire drives are supported, or else Glyph are making a strange X-project , 001-matching firewire drive that's not compatible...it's supposed to be the perfect companion for your 001...at least visually

[This message has been edited by fenris (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 02:48 PM

If you're using a firewire drive for storing and burning, any one will work. If you're using it for a sessions/audio drive, some will work.

If you search hard enough, you will find threads where poeple have had success with less expensive unqualified 7200 RPM drives. I wouldn't buy one unless someone gave it the thumbs up.
Old 01-19-2001, 05:02 PM

i spoke with the glyph guys at macworld, and they were adamant that their "project x" firewire drive was ideal for not just storage but recording with the 001. he said you can get your full track count (24 with PTLE). i'm not really buying that, but there it is.
Old 01-19-2001, 05:49 PM

I remember reading the specs for this drive, and I think that the access time is a bit slower than the SCSI X-Project, it's less expensive though, if I remember well. Plus, no extra card to buy
Old 01-19-2001, 06:10 PM

The best low cost solution is an internal IDE drive. Firewire drives are just IDE drives with crossover software. If you buy the Glyph, you'll be paying for the fact that it's qualified by digi. I'm certain there are other firewire drives that will work as good for much less money.

I believe 24 tracks should be no problem. If you plan on a million edits, SCSI will be the best choice.
Old 01-20-2001, 06:07 PM

I have a Glyph 15.5 external firewire hard drive which I bought to use both fore creating, storing and burning sessions on the 001. I've been having problems with my session screen freezing up while recording to the Glyph so I've been on the phone with the Digi tech department. 2 days ago, the digi tech I was speaking with told me unequivocally that the 001 does NOT yet officially support firewire hard drives although he said they are probably working toward that goal. Could Brent or any other Digi person monitoring this board please let us know the status of Digi's efforts to make the 001 fully and officially compatible with firewire HD's. Thanks
Old 01-21-2001, 09:12 PM

Sound On Sound(www.sospubs.co.uk) has just reviewed the new XProject Firewire in their newest issue. Derek Johnson did the article and had this to say: "The FireWire drive I had for testing was a 30Gb model, which can accommodate up to 144 minutes of continuous 24-track audio at 24-bit/48kHz. Operation was trouble-free and I easily achieved 24-track playback. Self-generated mechanical noise was at a similar level as for the SCSI model". Unquote.
I am wanting this and more to be so true. There is a Seagate in that thing how bad can it be. I totally dig Firewire and dispise USB. I hope to see Firewire midi interfaces coming in the near future. Having nothing but trouble with the USB midi interface situation. Of course, proper USB drivers from our audio saavy buddies at Apple would help. I know some of you have no USB midi problems, but others like me, have had many.
Anyway, I am looking into buying this XProject Firewire and was very happy to see a positive review regarding this issue. Any other feedback from Firewire HD users would be great. SHC let us know what develops. What kind of computer are you using ? Thanks, Christoph1123
Old 01-22-2001, 09:00 AM

Christoph1123, I've got a dual 500 G4 with a 40 gb HD and 384 mb memory utilizing the 9.04 OS. At this point, I'm not sure this is an ideal setup.