Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Auto Updates...

Isn't it about time for Auto-Updates?

Between processor type, 10.4 & 10.5, PCI & PCIe, I figure at least nine different iterations of PTHD, and that doesn't take into account I/O, other Didi peripherals, and G4/G5's. The combinations of hardware and software is dizzying, and keeping tabs on your own configuration is becoming a full time job. Digi's own PT HD update product selector has PCI and PCIe choices, as well as OS & Processor choices, which seems like Apple and Oranges to me, which seems to lead to confusion for users, and no doubt makes life complicated for Digi as well. It's not that there are too many iterations of systems, but it's just becoming increasing difficult to find the updates that apply to your system.

A lot of software I have can automatically check for updates, so what I'm suggesting is that PT do the same.. When launched, or at some interval, take stock of the PT system that is running.. OS,, processor type.... currently connected hardware, and check to see what updates are available. Then if updates ARE available, send me to a web page specifically for my system, not a generic update page where I'll have to muddle thru to find the update that applies to my system.

Other ways to manage this is to allow users to set up systems online... a DIGI web space that has all of your system information so you could check every so often to see what updates are available for your system only. Alternately, a separate local application that would survey your computer, and automatically "phone home" every so often and alert you to updates that are available for you. I'd even be happy if it was able to tell me that I could upgrade, say from Mac OS 10.4 to Mac OS 10.5, or from PT 7.3 to PT 7.4, which could increase revenue for Digi.

This used to be much easier, but as the combinations of hardware and software increase, and legacy systems are still up and running with some support, it's beginning to be very hard to find your own car in the parking lot.