Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Dsk Allocation Import Session Data FILES SCATTERED

Excuse this ole Nashville country boy, but I can't make heads or tails out of the posted
discussion about why my Session files are on one drive and my Audio Files & Fade File folders
are on another drive.

Here's the scoop. I have 2 external drives. I create a new Folder called "Artist of the Day" on external HD #1.
I create a session in that folder called; 01 Song of the Day. I then will Import session data from
Template residing on another external drive, (HD #2) with all my settings like I like 'em. BOOM, my disk
allocation is weirded out. Now my audio files & fade files folders are on my 2nd external HD in a seperate
folder called 01 Song of the Day, while my session files are on the 1st external HD I started with. Even if I
set it for Custom Allocation. They STILL go over there to HD #2.

Does this make sense?
Why does importing Session data change my disc allocation? no matter where it came from.

Have I checked something wrong?

I just want my stinkin' audio files & fade files folders underneath my 01 Song of the Day,
without having to copy them over manually at the end of the day.

Please help, I have a 10-2-6 tomorrow, and would really like to leave by 9:30.
Thanks,
Adrian
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Dsk Allocation Import Session Data FILES SCATT

if you pull a template from drive 2, you must change the disk allocation to drive 1 every time you do this.

one solution is to copy the template over to the drive you want to use.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 PM

The disk allocation is NOT being changed it's staying where it was set in the source session. Just copy the template to the 2nd drive and be sure its allocation is set there, and import from it.
If you use the template feature (open template from inside PT and create "new session" )I believe it will change the disc allocation to where ever you put the new session.
But yes, it is counter intuitive enough that one needs to develop the habit of checking disk allocation whenever importing from
a drive your session is not on. Like humans were born to help computers with housekeeping...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 PM

thanks guys, I'll check it out...

I've always had success doing it my way, but since 7.3 It has just bit the big one.

I Always just create a new session for each song without opening a Template, just importing
the session data to each new song. Why?, because I don't want Audio Files folders floating all over creation, GO FIGURE!
We do 10-12 songs a day 6 days a week. 7.3 has really slowed my workflow & my MOJO.

DID I MENTION ALSO...Almost forgot.
Sometimes when I import session data from a tested and proven Template,
it Mysteriously sets all of my Bus sends to the reverb, to Unity or 0. WOW!
now there's reverb on the kick, and the bass, and the acoustic, blah blah blah.

I need some Pesticide!

Adrian