Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Default MBox 2 Pro: Low-Latency Monitoring Not Functioning

I'm using an MBox 2 Pro with a 2.16 GHz Intel-based iMac. I just upgraded to PT 7.3...

When I enable Low-Latency Monitoring to record a track, the audio levels register on the track's meter (showing that signal is passing), but there is NO sound coming from the record-enabled track. The track gets recorded (in that you can hear it on playback), but you cannot hear the sound during tracking.

Is this just a 7.3 bug that will eventually be fixed, or am I doing something incorrectly? I've used this system now for about a month-and-a-half, and it's been rock solid up until now.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro: Low-Latency Monitoring Not Functioning

If you do a search, there's already a thread on this topic I believe. Maybe you could chime in there.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 AM

Thanks for your reply... however, I searched yesterday and today, and couldn't find anything where anyone else is having the same issue. Everyone talking about latency issues in (especially in PT LE 7.3) is debating whether or not there's more than there was before.

My issue is simply that enabling Low Latency Monitoring doesn't work, period. Although signal is passing to the track, (ie, the meter is showing that there is signal), there is NO sound. However, the signal can be recorded, and heard during playback. I've tried it in different sessions, different sample rates, headphones vs. monitors, etc... nothing I've done has remedied the problem.

So I think these are different issues. Thanks again. If anyone else is willing to chime in, please do so.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 AM

The exact same problem happens here. But this occured already with PT 7.1.1, though it seems to be worse with 7.3. No sound when Low Latency monitoring is enabled, although sound is recorded.
A couple of times it did work after I rebooted the computer several times, but at this moment still no luck after six reboots.

Something else is that the MBox 2 Pro often is not recognized when booting the computer. I sometimes have to boot five times in a row in order to have the orange power led stop from blinking. This did already happen with version 7.1.1 but has not improved and even seems to be worse with 7.3.

MacPro (2x2.66 Dual / 5 GB RAM / OSX 10.4.8)

Willem
Old 12-18-2006, 08:43 AM

After puzzling around a bit more I had Low Latency Monitoring working during one session.
This was after installing the 7.3cs1 update (that I only discoverd today) and I installed the Mbox2ProDriver 7.3r2 driver (that I also found today).

But once I had quit and booted PT again, Low Latency Monitoring showed the same bad behaviour: no sound, although there is signal input (and it is recorded). Can't get it back working again.

On my system this is not a unique 7.3 thing. It already happened with 7.1.3r2. If I recall correctly this started after I had installed the trial version of Velvet. Can't imagine if this has anything to do with it, but that has been the only change to my setup before Low Latency Monitoring started showing this behaviour (sometimes it works, most of the times it doesn't).

Hope this is of any help to find a fix?

Regards, Willem

MacPro (2x 2.66 dual / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.4.8) - MBox 2 Pro (7.3r2 driver) - PT 7.3cs1
Old 12-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro: Low-Latency Monitoring Not Functio

This problem is also happening to my MBox 2 Pro/PowerBook G4 system ever since I upgraded to Pro Tools 7.3 LE. Has this issue been resolved? Is Digidesign aware that this happening?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Avid

Have any of you tried trashing preferences yet? What about toggling between 'Auto Input' and 'Input Only' monitoring?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Greetings,

I have tried both "auto input" and "input only monitoring" and I am still unable to hear anything through the headphones. As soon as I switch Low Latency monitoring off, I am able to hear the inputs through the headphones. I have not yet tried to trash my preferences. I will give that a try and report my findings. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:45 AM

I tried trashing my preferences but the problem still persists. Let me know if you need me to do anything else to help troubleshoot this issue.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM

I've had this problem with an 002r running PT7. The temporary fix was to turn off the voice and turn back on the voice of that track. It worked at the time and I think the problem stopped when I upgraded to a higher version of PT. Though it may have been a problem on one particular session which hasn't happened since.

That work as a temporary fix?