Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 AM

Default DINR LE Broadband Noise Reduction

Does anyone know how to use this Plugin effectively? Anyone have a good procedure I can follow?

Thanks,

Torchlight
Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: DINR LE Broadband Noise Reduction

I have used this effectively- I just highlight the audio I need it to process and let it do its thing. I found the more I fooled with it the worse it got, but one tip is to leave a section of the noise only so it can get a handle on what it is taking out. That has worked well for me, and I used similar technique with soundsoap before I got DINR.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 PM

I can't find the directions for this plug in anywhere and I don't have a feel for what all the parameters do to the audio region. For instance, do you push "learn" first and then select "fit" or "superfit"? If you can give me a quick procedure that works just to get me started that would be great!

Thanks,

Torchlight
Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have used this effectively- I just highlight the audio I need it to process and let it do its thing. I found the more I fooled with it the worse it got
My experience has been the opposite. I find "just letting it do it's thing" generally makes the settings "hotter" than I want. My idea with it is to use it just enough to not let it touch any music (I find stock settings screw with the high end and even some upper midrange).

I come up with my setting for a project almost exclusively by using the "audition" button. I'll set the db of removal high, like 6-8 db. Then I hit audition and raise the threshold until I just start to hear something rhythmic (something other than constant noise). Once I hit this point, I back it off one notch and decrease the db.

Then I turn audition off and compare the dry and processed signals. The result is usually that I hear less noise but I don't hear the thing working. Just like breathing in a comp, hearing the NR is a bad thing. The whole purpose is to save your music, not remove parts of it. (IMHO)
Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 PM

I should mention that I only used the thing for it's free demo period (but I did do several projects that had been needing attended to during that time). I am by no means an expert. I would really love to own this plug but I can't justify five bills for my home studio.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I can't find the directions for this plug in anywhere
It's part of the Digidesign Plug-Ins Guide, which you may already have on your drive, or you can download it from the DINR LE product section downloads:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?itemid=4341
Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 PM

markshan
I have an Ilok asset of DINR LE.
Make me an offer, I trying to save up for Strike.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Tools LE 7.1, Digi002R, Command8, MPTK
WinXP Pro SP2, ADS Pyro FW, Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+,1GB Corsair DDR 400 ram
-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 PM

DINR is a much maligned plugin - mainly because it's not easy to use. Anyone that is seriously involved with noise reduction will tell you that EVERY available high end plugin has its own stengths and weaknesses, and you need to have them all!

Listening, Hearing and a musical sensibility also matter a LOT in the process. The track will ALWAYS be affected.... the question is by how much? There's ALWAYS a compromise when removing noise. If someone tells you otherwise, you're going to the Church!

Unfortunately, there's no "instantiate the plugin, push a button, and GO" solution to noise reduction.... unless of course, your DEAF.

Like a good book, you need to spend time with DINR, which will often do a terrific job.

The Word of the Lord.

Xray
Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM

well, its been a while but i think i can add a bit more than those above. i use it almost exclusively for mastering sound for movies. it is useful though it is all too easy to overdo it and make things sound like ass.

Disclaimer: just my experience. your own experience will obviously teach you more.

First: Highlight the largest section of the sound you want to be removed. It will probably be pretty small. thing is, any extraneous frequencies that you don't want removed (footsteps, breathing, coughing, chair squeeking) will be a part of the learned EQ cut if they are in the highlighted area.

2nd: click 'Learn' in the DNR window. now it knows the stuff you want removed.

3rd: Fit or superfit. i don't know about this. use your intuition. you will probably figure it out. obviously, it alters how detailed the Cut curve (for lack of a better word) will follow the sample frequency.

4th: in the PT window select the entire region you want to be cleaned of the noise (i notoriously forget this).

5th: the little 'up' and 'down' arrows at the bottom of the DRN window are what to play w/ next. the 'up' arrow will push your cut curve up over the sampled frequecies, masking them (or cutting them out). try previewing as you push this curve up. the 'NR amount' in the upper left will need to be brought down here as well. try 6dB for starters. and put smoothing somewhere in the middle. playing with the 3 settings is where i get most of my results.

6th: the 'audition' button lets you hear what is getting cut out. click that as you change stuff and you will know when you are starting to lose bits of signal (the stuff you don't want cut out).

well, just some inro tips. always up for revision from others.

may your signal be greater than your noise.