Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Disk allocation problem.

This problem started when diskspace was running out, but I freed up so I had atleast 3.5GB free space, but the problem still remains.
When I start a session I get this message:

the original disc allocation for this session cannot be used. One or more drives could not be found or are invalid for this session. As a result disk allocation has been modefied. Would you like to verify the new disk allocation?

So I check disk allocation and the root media folder is set to *none* for all files and cannot be changed, I can playback but not change anything (like record, fade etc.)

Plus I cannot bounce to disk, it tells me that the drive is not an audio playback volume.

I am running Pro Tools LE 6.4 with Mbox, Ibook G4, 933mhz, 640ram

I would be most gratefull for any help in this matter .

Cheers, Séamus
Old 06-03-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Disk allocation problem.

"get info" on said drive and check the permissions....
Old 06-03-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Disk allocation problem.

Had this same problem. This is an easy one.

What you need to do is open up Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and select "Show Workspace". That will open up a new window which should have a list of all your drives on it. This is where you tell Pro Tools what drives it's allowed to use for what: for instance, my internal hard drive is too slow to record or playback much audo, so I have told it that it can only use my FW drive for recording. Make sense?

There will be a column labeled "A" (for audio) and "V" (for video). In each of those columns will be a letter, and the different letters mean different things:

R: "Record". This drive may be used for recording, playback, or storage of audio files.
P: "Playback". This drive may be used to play back audio files or store audio files, but cannot be used to record.
T: "Transfer". This drive can be used to store audio files, but not to play them back or record them.

Most likely what happened is somehow, the drive you were using got set to "Transfer". Change it to "Record" and your problem should be solved.
512MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.2.8
160GB LaCie FW drive