Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Re: installing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
The confusion is yours with the help you are receiving.
You know what, you're really unhelpful. All you offer is trollish behaviour so if you have nothing useful to offer don't bother saying anything at all . cheers
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
You know what, you're really unhelpful.
Unhelpful? You asked a question, I gave you the answer, then you did not accept the answer, then you questioned the answer. I explained the ReadMe too you, you did not accept that explanation, I told you the ReadMe is correct again you did not accept that answer.

In fact, I think I have been more than accommodating. Help your self and listen.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 PM

I had PT 9HD with the instrument expansion pack installed on Snow Leopard. I upgraded to 10HD and then to Lion. The Avid instruments are still working for me. Not to discourage you from following the instructions in the README, just reporting my experience.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I had PT 9HD with the instrument expansion pack installed on Snow Leopard. I upgraded to 10HD and then to Lion. The Avid instruments are still working for me. Not to discourage you from following the instructions in the README, just reporting my experience.
Don't get me wrong, I'm running a non-Avid Approved system, that is, a user built system based on experience but that doesn't mean that that is not going to work. The same can be said for the ReadMe. The ReadMe is the collective experience of those working with the software before public release and have listed these 'Known Issues' as a warning, that is, if you have trouble with such and such and that was listed in the Known Issues then you have no leg to stand on however that doesn't mean that it won't work.

The safest procedure would be to follow the collective experience of those that worked with the software before public release.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
The safest procedure would be to follow the collective experience of those that worked on the software before public release.
Absolutely.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm just reading the "Read Me" PDF while PT 10 downloads and found this.

"Using the Pro Tools 9.0.5 Uninstaller Also Uninstalls Structure (PTSW-151154)

When using the Pro Tools 9.0.5 Uninstaller to uninstall Pro Tools 9.x, the Structure plug-in is also uninstalled from your computer. To avoid this issue, do not use the Pro Tools 9.0.5 uninstaller (you do not need to uninstall Pro Tools 9.x before installing Pro Tools 10). If you encounter this issue, you will need to reinstall Structure after you install Pro Tools 10."
Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Should have mentioned I'm operating on a laptop MacBook Pro mostly for writing and mixing/editing writing work.

I purchased PT 9 mini, and installed fine. I purchased Instrument Expansion Pack, and have been downloading the package over the past three days. I have a lot to learn about using the virtual instruments in general, and a technophobe in general as far as getting around program installations etc.

Question: Do I have to take the free PT 10 upgrade in order to install the IE pack? I'd rather not complicate my install process for now if I can just get these basic programs up and running.

I also have space issues on my laptop, and locating the Instrument content folders on an external hard drive. No problem so far moving Velvet and Transfuser content folders to this location, but should I have moved the AIR Contents Folder onto the external or is it ok to just locate the individual contents folders to the external?

Thanks
Leif
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
OK i think you might be misunderstanding me.

I haven't claimed to know more than the read me at all. All I have said is that the Readme is not clear and I am looking for people who have the same set up as myself for some clarification and if need be some instructions on how to uninstall. I have not received this clarification or instruction as yet, although I have received some responses from people who have not revealed their set up or given instruction on the uninstall.

The read me does not specifically say if you have protools 9.0.5 installed then you must uninstall everything first before installing 10. Instead what it says "If you installed the PTIEP first, you must uninstall both Pro Tools and the PTIEP, then reinstall Pro Tools first, followed by the PTIEP."

To which I'm saying I didn't install ptiep first I installed protools 9.0.5. The instructions need to be clear and they are not.

Another person above has said they did not uninstall at all and their instruments are all good so go figure.
What is your system? What osx? What pro tools did you upgrade from? What was your process? These are the answers I need before I take instructions from you or anybody else. Cheers
It's best to uninstall 9 before installing 10.
It only takes a few minutes for the entire uninstall/install process, and your 3rd party plugs won't be touched.
Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifarntzen View Post
Question: Do I have to take the free PT 10 upgrade in order to install the IE pack?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifarntzen View Post
should I have moved the AIR Contents Folder onto the external or is it ok to just locate the individual contents folders to the external?
Both methods work although future data management might be of concern. Perhaps best to keep the content bundled together.