Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Recording Volume

How come when I make any recording, the final mix volume comes out being like 500% lower than any standard cd? My levels on pro tools are just under the clip mark, and no matter how much I turn up my inputs it is still low. I am using the digi 001 on Windows XP. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Recording Volume

What plugins do you have on tthe master fader?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 PM

None...
Old 04-15-2003, 07:47 PM

thats why....i would suggest putting some sort of maximizer plugin on the master fader. Try digidesigns Maxim or Waves L1 or L2. Set the treshhold at about -6.0 and set the out ceiling at -0.2(I use waves L2 and that works fine for me), and that should do the trick. To download the demo version of the waves stuff, go to www.waves.com ..and you can download the demo for maxim by going to www.digidesign.com products-->digi001-->plugin finder ..hope this helps, take care!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:48 PM

Could not of said i better myself!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 09:22 PM

right on buddy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:22 AM

You mean there is no way to get a proper recording volume without buying a plugin? That just doesnt make sense.

Also -any tips for getting a clear distortion sound. Every time I record overdriven guitar it sounds like a mess. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:26 AM

No, there are a couple of stock plugins that work like audiosuite's compressor and limiter. But thats about it.

Peace
Old 04-16-2003, 11:46 AM

Yea you can use the stock plugins if you like to achieve a better volume. See the thing with the plugins on the master fader are a big deal. On professional recorded albums the tracks are "mastered". That means they take the track that's like yours right now and master it. That could be by putting the maximizers and other type of plugins on the master fader(hence the name master fader). It's there for you to use to master your track. Some people don't even master within pro tools, they'll use third party software to do their mastering, and some people even send they're stuff out to mastering houses and let them do the work. Now Im not trying to make you feel dumb or anything like that, for all i know you could already know this information. But the point im trying to make is that, these are the methods that are being used that you're hearing on professional albums.

As for the guitar. I know what you mean, when I first got my 001 and recorded and overdriven guitar it sounded like a bunch of fuzz. But of course thats when I was first learning how to even use 001 in the first place and I had really know idea what I was doing. What you might want to do is try messing around with the mic placement first off, what kind of mic are you using? a shure sm57 is good for guitars, also mess around with a room mic if you can. You would be surprised at how much more it makes a difference. Then put an EQ on the track and EQ it, and maybe even a little compresison too. Here is a trick for recording overdriven guitars. Make two mono audio tracks, pan one hard left and one hard right. Then recorded the same thing on both tracks, that'll make your guitars sound huge. I do it for choruses, and it sounds great. Now if you still have trouble, you can resort to the PODxt like me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...hope this info helps, take care!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PRS4LIFE:
thats why....i would suggest putting some sort of maximizer plugin on the master fader. Try digidesigns Maxim or Waves L1 or L2. Set the treshhold at about -6.0 and set the out ceiling at -0.2(I use waves L2 and that works fine for me), and that should do the trick. To download the demo version of the waves stuff, go to www.waves.com ..and you can download the demo for maxim by going to www.digidesign.com products-->digi001-->plugin finder ..hope this helps, take care!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for posting this info! I just bought a Digi 001/Pro Tools v5.3.1. I noticed that the Maixim plugin isn't included as a plug-in (insert on a track), but I did notice that there is a Maxim Setup.exe on the Pro Tools CD, under Additional Files\Digidesign Plug-In Installers. Is this the real Maxim plug-in, or a trial version? There are some other plug-in Setup.exe's in the same folder (like D-fx) that don't appear to have been installed either. I'm a little hesitant about running these plug-in executables from the above directory in case they are trial versions, in which case I want to wait till I actually need to try them so their trial period doesn't expire until I'm ready to use them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Can someone enlighten me about these plug-in installers?

Also, included in my Digi 001 purchase was a Waves Version 3.5 CD. Appears to be 14 day trial plug-ins for all/most of Waves plug-ins. Are the L1 and L2 plug-ins you mention above, the ones that *you* are currently using, the same ones included in the Waves Masters Bundle? I think they are, but was just wanting to make sure [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.