Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Weird White Noise??!!??!! HELP!

This is really strange! I recorded my acoustic on a small and large condeser and when I play it back it sounds find...then all of a sudden...BSHHHHHHH...for like a second then the track keeps on going. When I mute one of the tracks it goes away so its obviously a problem with that track..right?...well the weird thing is that although it shows it clip on the meter, the waveform is fine!!! I've tried moving it to another track and a different position but the same thing happens. I have no plug-ins on it and there was no sign of a problem when I initally recorded it. If anyone knows anything about this kinda thing let me know.

p.s. running 002 on windows with SP1
Old 10-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Weird White Noise??!!??!! HELP!

Are you using PT 6.4?
Have you installed 64cs9?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 PM

I've had this happen on multiple occasions. I think the audio files are getting corrupted. When PT rebuilds the file on opening it generates white noise for some of the track sections. What is strange is that part of the file is rebuilt correctly while portions of the file are white noise. One scenario is that it has happened when I defrag my audio drive. I usually keep the defrag program set to automatic fix/delete lost clusters. I can't recall if it happened every time, but on two of the occasions the defrag process found and "fixed" lost clusters. I'm guessing the lost clusters were part of my audio file and Windows saw it as a lost cluster. My PT was set for destructive recording on all of these cases and I lost the entire track. This has also occurred when my PT locked-up just as I hit the record/play button and PT generated some type of error. I have to reboot when it happens (It happens very infrequent, maybe total of three times in two years, but devastating none the less). After I restarted PT the file had been corrupted in the same way. I don't know exactly why it happens, but this has been my experience with it. As far as my setup, I'm still on Windows Me, with PT 5.1.1 I'll eventually upgrade to XP, but not really needed yet. Hope my experience helped.

-Shawn
Old 10-19-2004, 01:37 PM

thanks for the info.I think that might help me out.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM

Same here !!
Using HD accel 2 6.4 latest version g4 dual 1.25 all firewire

Had this several times now...
Just doing some recording, everything goes fine and then all of a sudden when I play back the latest recording, I hear white noise only! The waveform looks fine, but there's definitly something wrong...