Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2002, 01:05 PM

Default Re: help!!!

thanks for the detailed help....
however here's the problem... i know ZERO about the masterlist, toast, and other lingo thats being thrown around here... im just using the burner that came along with the g4....

im desperate enough to burn as a wav file then bring it over to my Pentium III, which is what im using now, then use adaptec to burn as audio cd...

is that gonna work?

just remember that i know SQUAT about tecchie language. coz i dunno anything about systems and formats and compatabilities or burner drives...

please advise!! thanks!
Old 06-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Click anywhere on your desktop, so that you are in the Finder.

In the menu bar, choose Help->Help Center

Choose "iTunes Help"

Choose "How do I make my own audio CDs"

Also in the Help Center, for data cds and cross-platform information

Choose "Mac Help"

Choose "Disks"

Choose "Creating CDs"

You should also get the latest version of iTunes 2.0.4 if you don't have it:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

For more information, including other iTunes compatible devices:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/notes.html

Also, if you do not already have it, download Disk Burner 1.0.1:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75106
"You can also make custom MP3 CDs, standard audio CDs and data CDs directly from the Finder using Disc Burner"

That way, if you want to burn a data CD with something like .WAV files, you can move them to your Windows mastering program:

Quote:
About Disc Burner

Disc Burner allows you create your own data CDs using a CD recorder.

To create a CD, insert a blank disc in the CD drive. In the dialog box that appears, enter a name for the disc and select the format you want to create. An icon for the CD will appear on the desktop. Drag files and folders to the icon. When you're finished, select the disc and choose Burn CD from the Special menu.

For more information, choose Mac Help from the Help menu in the Finder. Then click Disks.

System Requirements

* Mac OS 9.1
* Disc burner works with all Apple built-in CD-RW drives. See below for information about using a non-Apple drive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 06-07-2002, 02:44 PM

i managed to figure it out... though its a bit of a troublesome process.

bounce to somewhere (say perhaps desktop, i use a folder that i named "burn folder" to signify that these are completed stuff that i wanna burn into audio cd). Format is wav, 16bit, 44kHz.

insert blank disc. prepare as data disc.

copy and paste the wave file into disc. click and drag into trash bin. get a prompt that asks u to burn or eject without doing anything to the disc. and of course choose burn.

bring the new data cdrom with the wav file to PC, using adaptec burn a normal audio cd.

tadah!!

wateva works...

sighz... anybody else using such a silly method as mine?

thanks digi. i'll try out that method someday. but not yet... i just busted my consciousness figuring out this thing since last night. its 530 in the morning here and i havent slept... at this rate no wonder they say i look 27 years old... (btw im 19)

thanks all!
Old 06-07-2002, 03:52 PM

so I guess you are saying that the internal G4 CD writer that comes with the computer does not support outside software like toast or waveburner, or does it???
Old 06-08-2002, 12:37 AM

Default help!!!

have been recording nicely with my 001 on G4 for a while now. but dunno how to burn a normal audio cd from the mac.
when i bounce, where to bounce to? what format?
what sample rates? etc....
how to prep the cdr?

help!!!

those who can, please advise. i just need to burn whatever i have recorded and have been hearing on my headphones into a CD that can be played on a discman or car stereo or hifi set.

thanks a billion!

Mouthdrummer
Old 06-08-2002, 12:56 AM

Bounce to 16-bit, 44 KHz (although some of the better commercial CD burnding prog's can also dither down from 24-bit). AIF format always OK, Roxio's Toast also understands SDII & WAV format. I use Toast all the time for this purpose. If you don't have Toast (which comes OEM with many CD burners), Apple's I-tunes also can be downloaded free from their site (assuming it's compatible with your burner), & does just fine for burning these ref. & just-for-listening CD's.
(In other words, while these prog's don't make the grade for a commercial CD dupe master for example, because they don't allow editing ISRC info UPC/EAN codes, Q channel subcoding & all that rot), they're gonna burn CDs that sound fine work in about any player.
If you aren't using Maxim, L1 or just plain being obsessive about getting max. levels on the Master that that is your output source for the Bounced files, you may also want to Normalize these bounced files before burning your CD's. (Either Re-Import these stereo files after bounce & use Normalize AudioSuite command on them right inside the Audio Regions List, or use Bias Peak (downloadble trial ver. is avail.), or even SoundEdit (or many other stereo audio editing progs lurking around out there). Otherwise, your CDs may be noticeably less loud than other ones, which will be disappointing when you sneak one into the CD changer at the next party!
For more serious CD mastering (& also if you need CD track #'s inside continuous audio files, for instance!) as you probably know, MasterList CD, Roxio's Jam, Emagic's WaveBurner Pro etc. do a great job on Mac.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:13 AM

"Toast" is Roxio's CD burning software for the Mac. I'm surprised you don't have a copy of Toast LE already on the machine, but even at 99 smackers for a copy of Toast Titanium it's a great deal. Dead simple-create an icon of Toast on the desktop-bounce your tracks (AIFF or WAV @ 16 bit, 44.1) to a folder on the desktop you name "ProTools Bounces"-open said folder-drag your tracks onto the Toast icon, stick a new CDR into the burner, and you're ready to make a CD. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2002, 07:44 AM

Looks to me like your mistake is when you choose "prepare as data disk"

Choose "itunes" from that first drop down, that will lauch itunes. Once your there it's just like WORD or any other program. You choose 'file', 'new playlist' , name the new playlist and drop the files into the list from your decktop or from the burn folder you have created. now you can burn an audio cd without going to the pc

My preference is Jam, software that let's me cross fade between songs, trim the data files and get overall track time info very easily, but itunes works.