Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2024, 09:08 AM

Default is there a plugin that ...

opens frequency dependant, then closes with a timed filter? For example a tom hit opens it full range then a low pass filter sweeps down over say 2 seconds so the LF of the tom remains, but the hats / cymbals are filtered out as the decay amplitude diminishes to a full close.

Am I making sense? Of course theres a bunch that will open by internal or external sidechain (fabfilter, Sonnox ..) that can be freq dependant opening, but its a timed filtered decay that I've looked for but not found - other than perhaps adding a soundtoys filter freak - but thats really not doing well what I am asking here.

Ideas?
Old 02-27-2024, 10:00 AM
Avid

Default Re: is there a plugin that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
opens frequency dependant, then closes with a timed filter? For example a tom hit opens it full range then a low pass filter sweeps down over say 2 seconds so the LF of the tom remains, but the hats / cymbals are filtered out as the decay amplitude diminishes to a full close.

Am I making sense? Of course theres a bunch that will open by internal or external sidechain (fabfilter, Sonnox ..) that can be freq dependant opening, but its a timed filtered decay that I've looked for but not found - other than perhaps adding a soundtoys filter freak - but thats really not doing well what I am asking here.

Ideas?
Hi There, have you already tried playing with Channel Strip?

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-27-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Hi There, have you already tried playing with Channel Strip?
ITs a great plugin but does not have the gate closing with a frequency relationship - It does have the filter side chain to open the gate as per sonnox and fabfilters gates. But I dont see it or any plugin with a time x frequency related closing.

Its a plugin someone should create! Any mixer that mixes a lot of live records would love it.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:10 PM

another scenario - an open live tubular bell mic near other live percussion. The opening transients of the bell hits have a lot of HF from the bell, but the decay of the bell has a lot less. As the decay progresses the bell mic then has a higher % of HF coming from the nearby perc. I want to keep the LF of the bell in the decay but have an LPF come down to filter out the perc in the decay.

I can see a lot of uses for this kind of tool.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:22 PM

Waves C1 gate does that
https://www.waves.com/plugins/c1-compressor
Old 02-27-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqibhassan View Post
It doesn't.
He's looking for a comparative (dynamic) filter. The side chain would have to compare a band-limited signal from the channel it is on to a secondary signal (side-chain also band limited) to determine the reduction of an LPF on the full signal. C1 can't do that even as a compressor (it's not comparative)
Old 02-27-2024, 02:07 PM

Nothing comes to mind, but I like the idea.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:16 PM

I don't think this would ever work well because the threshold would be constantly changing (it's not stable like how ducking works.) Better to write in the LPF trim with automation.
Or set the LPF trigger on the tubular bell based only on it's attack. If you set the threshold, release right (and everything is relatively at a tempo) you should get the result you want. (using a multiband compressor)
Old 02-27-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I don't think this would ever work well because the threshold would be constantly changing (it's not stable like how ducking works.) Better to write in the LPF trim with automation.
Or set the LPF trigger on the tubular bell based only on it's attack. If you set the threshold, release right (and everything is relatively at a tempo) you should get the result you want. (using a multiband compressor)
If a gate can attenuate noise somewhat reliably between toms, surely a timed LPF filter could be triggered by the same gate opening. Drawing / writing automated LPF is something I have previously done but its laborious over a two hour show .

To saqibhassan - the C1 comp/gate does in fact do it to a point - but it doesnt quite have the control in the decay I would like - or the gate opening sidechain that would make this more reliable. So it kinda works - but not well enough for me. Id be better manually editing and automating to get a usable result.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

Maybe an answer is a multiband gate I could duplicate the track, split the eq HPF/LPF and gate each separately to kinda get there.