Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Waves Plugins Rescan - SAME SSD - New Chassis

Hey friends. My 2011 MBP dGPU took a ****. I moved my SSD over to a 2012 MBP and when I open up PT it wants me to rescan for Waves licenses. I didn’t try yet because I figured I’d upload them back on my 2011 by disabling my dGUI and booting Yosemite 10.10.5 using the iGPU. It was working before I moved over my SSD to the 2012 MBP but now that I put the SSD back in the 2011 it just turns off halfway through the load up screen. So now I can’t get the computer to boot to transfer **** if need be. I’m thinking maybe if I go back in the 2012 MBP and just rescan my Waves all will be well but I didn’t want to take a chance that something ****s up worse. Worse case scenario I can still pay whatever I have to in order to have a tech replace the dGPU in the 2011 to offload my Waves to move over to the 2012. Just not sure wtf to do. Any one with this kind of specific issue? It’s not like I’m moving all my **** to a new computer. It’s the same ****ing drive out into another chassis. Lmk friends. Thanks. -TDL
Old 10-08-2023, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Waves Plugins Rescan - SAME SSD - New Chassis

What SSD are you talking about? The system SSD or an extra storage SSD? It’s not clear from your post.

Why don’t you just let it rescan? There’s no harm in having Pro Tools rescan.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:31 PM

The SSD with my OS and all my applications. It’s just a clean swap over to a different unibody, it’s not like I’m porting over a clone of my system to a new hard drive. I could rescan, I just didn’t know if something wonky might happen because I’m actually in a new unibody. So I thought I’d just replace my SSD back into my previous unibody and upload my Waves plugs to the cloud before transferring over my SSD but when I put it back into the old unibody it kept turning off during reboot. 2011 MBP has a known issue with bad dedicated GPUs. Mine crapped out. It doesn’t affect your hard drive. There’s a work around where you can go into restore mode, put in some code and it defaults over to your integrated GPU but there’s limitations to what software works because the graphics can’t handle it. In this case my ProTools would no longer function on the iGPU so I needed to get another computer to transplant my current SSD into. That’s the gist!
Old 10-26-2023, 01:23 AM

Apparently Waves licensing system seems to take hardware configurations into account, largely your computer's NIC number, but it's possible the hard drive also factors.

What you really needed to do is use Waves Central to transfer all your licenses back to the cloud before installing the SSD on a new system. At which point you can redownload the licenses.

Yeah it's a tad annoying, but the responsibility really falls on the hackers. If it wasn't for them there would be no need for fussy, overzealous licensing systems.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:39 PM

ALL IS WELL FRIENDS.

Waves support made it all happen.

Priel “aka Refael” was one of the most knowledgeable, attentive, empathetic and helpful representatives for a business I’ve ever come across. As a creative, it’s important to have access to the tools you need to make your projects the best they can be. Waves has provided me with those tools.

You read a lot of horror stories about the quality of Waves business practices and customer service on gear forums. There’s quite a few naysayers out there that complain about poor quality service. I’m not that person.

I called in with zero expectation. My computer’s dGPU went out and I had no means of retrieving my Mercury Waves licenses off the hard drive via the iGPU as I was on an older Mac OS (Yosemite) and my Waves Central was outdated.

Priel went above and beyond to ensure all would be well and took the time and energy to walk me through downloading the new WC on another computer with an updated OS, allowed me to navigate my licenses over to a flash drive then reset my once a year transfer. That’s some serious love.

So grateful for Priel’s gracious concern for my well-being and doing what it took to get me back in the direction of creating.

Thank you Priel for all you’ve done for me. I appreciate you so much and Waves as well for having such a helpful team member to represent the business.

LIFE IS GOOD!

-TDL💕😎🤙
Old 11-02-2023, 03:22 PM

The few times I've had issues with Waves, or Avid, the customer support has always been top-notch.

Glad it worked out for you!

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 01-24-2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedevillokius View Post
ALL IS WELL FRIENDS.

Waves support made it all happen.

Priel “aka Refael” was one of the most knowledgeable, attentive, empathetic and helpful representatives for a business I’ve ever come across. As a creative, it’s important to have access to the tools you need to make your projects the best they can be. Waves has provided me with those tools.

You read a lot of horror stories about the quality of Waves business practices and customer service on gear forums. There’s quite a few naysayers out there that complain about poor quality service. I’m not that person.

I called in with zero expectation. My computer’s dGPU went out and I had no means of retrieving my Mercury Waves licenses off the hard drive via the iGPU as I was on an older Mac OS (Yosemite) and my Waves Central was outdated.

Priel went above and beyond to ensure all would be well and took the time and energy to walk me through downloading the new WC on another computer with an updated OS, allowed me to navigate my licenses over to a flash drive then reset my once a year transfer. That’s some serious love.

So grateful for Priel’s gracious concern for my well-being and doing what it took to get me back in the direction of creating.

Thank you Priel for all you’ve done for me. I appreciate you so much and Waves as well for having such a helpful team member to represent the business.

LIFE IS GOOD!

-TDL💕😎🤙
Good to see you got it working.

Much of the negativity out there is hearsay blown out or proportion, this is true for any dev. Or it's the anti-WUP people who think developers don't need to eat and should be programming our updates for free. Much of the BS is unfounded.

Much of it, but not all of it. No system is ever perfect though, neither is any developer.

Generally, as you have found out, Waves Tech Support is quite good. Usually, it's timely and quite helpful. But this makes sense, because they have an invested interest to keep the public's confidence and avoid all sorts of negative feedback whenever possible.

It's just smart business sense.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:17 AM

Good work! This is true, I have had nothing but great support and satisfaction with Waves. I have some clowns already on ignore for the heresay and just garbage flapping about Waves. Been using the plugs since ProTools 7. Never an issue. Just remember to move your licenses back to cloud with waves central if making system wide changes. Then move em back when done. Never had a problem with installs either, Win or Mac.
ProTools Studio 2023.12.1/OS 14.3.1/14.3.1

https://www.jaallen.org
Old 02-27-2024, 06:22 PM

Well, i know i am late but just wanted to re-iterate what has already been said, waves isn't as bad as everyone says, sure their upgrade plan is not the best but alot of the plugins are good and useful. As far as licensing goes, i've found myself at the crossroads twice, once when my mac pro died in 2019 and couldn't retrieve then off my mac because that's where it was activated so i used my get out of jail free card, but then it happened again, only this time i was able to login and get them out so from that day forward i've loaded them up on to a usb drive formatted in mos fat 32 which is the requirement and i haven't had a problem since. I will say this though, not all waves plugins are created equal...lol
Old 03-05-2024, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_allen View Post
Good work! This is true, I have had nothing but great support and satisfaction with Waves. I have some clowns already on ignore for the heresay and just garbage flapping about Waves. Been using the plugs since ProTools 7. Never an issue. Just remember to move your licenses back to cloud with waves central if making system wide changes. Then move em back when done. Never had a problem with installs either, Win or Mac.
No company is perfect, certainly no dev. The trouble is, fact and information has seemed to be replaced by biases and conjecture these days.

Though Waves didn't do themselves any favours with the subscription debacle this time last year. It still doesn't justify a lot of the outright aggression and animosity and just an overall server lack of professional behaviour.