Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2001, 12:14 AM

Default Re: COME ON DIGIDESIGN WAKE UP!!!!!

You want cheeze with that whine? Hey what do you want for under $800?????
Old 12-25-2001, 12:22 AM

Default COME ON DIGIDESIGN WAKE UP!!!!!

About only two years the distance between digidesign and the other audio companies was amazing, you really get much more for the money you pay. Now things are different.
Everybody knows that the protools plataform itīs the best for only audio but it is not the most complete plataform for music and sound tha itīs a more vast concept. Here are some points in wich digidesign itīs updating and giving tools very... very.... very.... slowly:

a)Midi editing since protools 5.0 still being crap. Any sequencer you thing on itīs better (cubase, logic, Performer, etc)
b)There are no full support for dual processor G4īs, like in cubase and performer.
c)Virtual instruments are not fully suported as midi devices, this mean that automation for parameters are not supported and direct midi link neither; everybody knows that direct connect its only a link to an audio channel but midi itīs not fully integrated in this technology.
d)No firewire audio card available. This mean that protools itīs only "portable" using that magma expensive and crapy chasis.
e)No support for IDE cd-burners with Masterlist.
f)NO ASIO2 support.
g)No surround support with DIGI 001. Suround only with Digital performer and soon with logic audio running under MacOs X!!!
Now digidesign it's no more on the vanguard.

I'm worried because digidesing it's loosing the etusiasm for giving the best tool for musicians and audio engineers the updates for protools 5.xx are not substancial since protools 5.0 I dont want to change to Digital performer or Cubase or Nuendo or Logic or Deck3 that plataforms seems to be more complete!!!
COME ON DIGIDESIGN WAKE UP!!!!! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2001, 12:47 AM

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR MY VERSION OF THE TRUTH, BUT...Some people count their blessings, and see the glass partially Full, and some people always whine abouut what they should have, and want, and see the glass mostly empty.

I applaud PT for even attempting to furnish us all with a peek into the $10,000+ world of what most Professional studios can afford to use. They have busted their creative Genius to provide us with PTLE> We really believe that some of our PTLE recordings are better than my friends with TDM, and So do they...

OK-So you must buy an external burner for MLCD...I thank God for PTLE and MLCD. What a miracle that 5.1.1 is for us poor folks...

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 12-25-2001, 12:55 AM

...and glass is a fragile thing.

Is Digidesign about to release another paradigm-shift DAW product?

Just have to wait and see. Check out this press release re the new Pow-R dither plugin...and definately before you go out and pick-up a SRC burner.
http://www.mil-media.com/pow-r.html
Old 12-25-2001, 05:57 AM

i agree with the last gent! pro tools le cost the same as a rme hammerfall card.what do you want for $800(1500 cdn)? it is a great system for the money plus the the digi hardware works very well with logic and digital performer(both of witch i also use)
digidesign will NEVER carbonize pt le for osx
why should they? remember the other systems like logic and dp wich have far better midi plus smpte dont also sell $50.000 tdm systems
digi over improving le would be the same as westinghouse coming out with a easybake oven
that does the same things a $600 range.Pro tools le is a serious recording system provided the person using it has some talent
and expierience and until you can afford to take the plunge into a tdm system you'd best put your noodles to work because pro tools le aint going anywhere to the extreme.
Old 12-25-2001, 07:06 AM

"Hey what do you want for under $800?????"

Yes, it's true, but who said we want all this improvements for under $800?
I am sure we are all ready to pay double if we're going to get ...more...
(VST support= ReWire-REX files..., 24 voices in stead of 24 Audio tracks,
Altivec,ĻDP, better MIDI-notation....) I'll pay another $800 for it!
Old 12-25-2001, 10:23 AM

Ok guys this is not about how much I pay for a pro tools, this is about the limitations that protools LE and TDM have. The point is that i suggest that protools need to turn into a more creative enviorment, i know that audio engineers are happy with protools but musicians need more midi implementation.
1.-Midi is crap even if you have TDM.
2.-Not really virtual instrument support, this mean, not direct midi connection an not direct automation, even if you have TDM.
3.-Not Dual processor support even if you pay $10,000. us for a TDM by now you can use only the half of your DualP G4 that you already pay.
4.-And finally not digidesign firewire hardware available; have you see the new Motu 896, that's portability ,8 phantom powered inputs, with gain knobs in each one, that's even more complete than the Digidesign 888.

The idea it's that all we protools lovers help digidesign to open to a new concept of audio workstation . [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2001, 01:55 PM

first off merry xmas everyone! now with all due respect petter i agree' it would be nice to see pt le with more bells and whistles but digidesigns dilema is if they bring the price of pt le up to much then they are losing out on potential tdm buyers' so were between the devil and the deep blue sea.i myself would also pay more for more features BUT! i dont tink thats going to happen my friend.
best holidays to everyone.
james.
ps. YEP even the midi in tdm sucks.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:02 PM

Yes, j creasey, I know....It's just some... Christmas dream. In reality I am looking at other programs (Logic, Nuendo)....
....but sometimes the dreams comes true....
Old 12-25-2001, 05:04 PM

Ok petter, best holiday wishes, but ah, this is on of the reason i switched over to logic platinum, because it worked great with the digidesign hardware plus smpte time line plus the midi beats digidesign to rat **** ! best over the holidays
your pal.
James Creasey