Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Exclamation Pro Tools video playback will freeze on a single frame after a certain period of time

Hi,

I have a PT session with 5 video files loaded. The Pro Tools system is driven via MIDI timecode from a Cubase machine. I'm having an issue where after the session has been open for a while the video will suddenly stay frozen on a single frame. Everything else seems to be functioning as normal. PT still responds to sync, audio plays back but the video does not. Even if I click around the timeline manually the video frame does not change.

This is on Mac 10.7.5, with Pro Tools HDX (latest version) and using h.264 video.

Often the only way to get the video playing again is to do a full restart of the computer.

Does anyone have an idea why this keeps happening?

Thanks,

B
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Question Re: Pro Tools video playback will freeze on a single frame after a certain period of

Are you playing out a FireWire or PCIe device?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools video playback will freeze on a single frame after a certain period of

It's playing onto a second screen plugged into the stock graphics card. So I guess PCIe. No Firewire video output.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools video playback will freeze on a single frame after a certain period of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulusbillman View Post
It's playing onto a second screen plugged into the stock graphics card. So I guess PCIe. No Firewire video output.
My guess is your video file. Trying transcoding it to another codec. I've had numerous issues with H.264's. Most of the time the H.264 picture will loop at a certain point, as the play head continues on. Strange stuff.

We use Apple ProRes Proxys as our standard.

Dev