Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 PM

Default Dante with aggregate device

I had a question about using Dante with Pro Tools. I'm not on an HD system.

I have Dante set to 64x64, and I'm doing a recording that requires 58 channels.

I'm trying to use an aggregate interface to monitor Pro Tools, but I can't seem to figure this out.

If I create the aggregate device to have a UAD Apollo twin first, I can use 1-2 out and hear pro tools. Here's the problem: I need Dante's inputs 1-14, but they're being eaten by the UAD aggregate.

If I make my aggregate with Dante first, I get the channels I need, but then no play back.

Is there any way I can route the sound out of pro tools to my UAD? I think it has something to do with the 64 I/O max, but is there no way to disable some outputs to make use of the Apollo's 1-2 out?
Old 08-26-2022, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Dante with aggregate device

CoreAudio aggregate devices simply appends the device IO together.

Pro Tools (Studio) simply trims IO off the end of the total aggregate past 64 IO.

If you need to remove input ports off the Apollo Twin you would do that in the Apollo Console. You need to RTFM Console documentation about the Console I/O Matrix.

Or even better don't rely on Aggregate I/O... but that needs Dante digital converters or a Dante interface.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:03 AM

Default Dante with aggregate device

When aggregating, doesn’t it allow you to select/deselect the hardware channels you want to include in the aggregate interface? There’s no reason you have to include all 14 channels of the UA. Customize your aggregate in the AudioMIDI settings.

EDIT: Ignore my ignorant answer. I was thinking how the onboard I/O appears as separate entries. Third party hardware does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-27-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
When aggregating, doesn’t it allow you to select/deselect the hardware channels you want to include in the aggregate interface? There’s no reason you have to include all 14 channels of the UA. Customize your aggregate in the AudioMIDI settings.
Uh nope. This is not how aggregate devices work. Routing/changing IO assignments has to happen within the devices.

And again aggregate IO is arguably not the "best" way to do this, it may or may not work reliably. AFAIK Avid still does not officially support Aggregate I/O expect for adding built in output (or whatever it's called) to an interface. So test well.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:37 AM

You could do this with Dante Via. Simply route the DVS monitor channels from pro tools to the UAD hardware within Dante Via. Forget making an aggregate device and just use DVS as your playback engine in Pro Tools and route accordingly.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via
Old 08-27-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You could do this with Dante Via. Simply route the DVS monitor channels from pro tools to the UAD hardware within Dante Via. Forget making an aggregate device and just use DVS as your playback engine in Pro Tools and route accordingly.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

It’s not possible to use Via and DVS simultaneously on the one system. Only one or the other.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh nope. This is not how aggregate devices work. Routing/changing IO assignments has to happen within the devices.

And again aggregate IO is arguably not the "best" way to do this, it may or may not work reliably. AFAIK Avid still does not officially support Aggregate I/O expect for adding built in output (or whatever it's called) to an interface. So test well.
Let me know if I'm understanding correctly:

Are you saying I could set Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to have two less outputs (63-64), then setup an aggregate with UAD Twin, and then at that point, Pro Tools will see 63-64 (Previously Dante) as the Apollo Twin's out 1-2?
Old 08-27-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
It’s not possible to use Via and DVS simultaneously on the one system. Only one or the other.
Ahhh, thanks for the correction. Then perhaps Loopback is a solution.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Let me know if I'm understanding correctly:

Are you saying I could set Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to have two less outputs (63-64), then setup an aggregate with UAD Twin, and then at that point, Pro Tools will see 63-64 (Previously Dante) as the Apollo Twin's out 1-2?
What? I never mentioned DVS. All I pointed out is you can control what IO the Twin presents to CoreAudio via its Console I/O Matrix. have you looked at the UAD Console doc like I suggested?

---

And if you made your Twin a (grr edit typo:) 0x2 interface and put it first in the aggregate... wouldn't that just achieve what you want????

And I'll repeat again aggregates may or may not work reliably.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-28-2022 at 12:21 PM.