Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Default MBox2 issues after upgrading to SL with PT 8.0.3

Hi everyone...

I am experiencing issues with my MBOX2 which drive me mad and make no sense at all.

My history from the beginning:

I have a one Year old Mac Book pro 2x2,4 with 4 MBRam.
I am using an MBOX2 with PT8 as well as with Cubase 5 (the members of one of my bands use this, so I decided to go along)

Since the PT 8.0.3 prerelease came out, I decided to take the next step and updated my system to Snow Leopard and PT8.0.3.
So far so good, mircolously everything workd fine for about a week. Then suddenly the Audio-Midi-Setup started to freeze when opened or didn't show any audio devices at all. At the same time, starting PT as well as starting Cubase took more than twice as long as usual.
Midi doesn't work at all since then and since yesterday I have a CoreMidi.Framework folder popping up in my dock (I read about this issue in the forum, but have taken no action by now, since a nonfunctional Audio-Midi-Setup is far more annoying).
In addition to this, in mydesign Core Audio driver (which I suppose has been updated too with PT 8.0.3) the Mbox2 doesn't show up.

I would appreciate any comment on this, since I am quite clueless what has happend.
At the moment, I am considering a complete clean install back to Leopard 10.5.6. which I was using prior to the update and reinstalling my whole system, but If anyone has suggestions what I could try first, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Unhappy Re: MBox2 issues after upgrading to SL with PT 8.0.3

Some additional info I have figured out while trying: I waited very long time until the Audio Midi Setup had loaded.
Every klick there takes approximately 5 minutes to cause an action, so it's hanging massively. Apart from the onboard sound system and the MBox2 I have a Digi Core Audio Device in the list with 0 In / 0 Out. It is not removable.

I was also able to start Digi Core Audio Manager without crashing. Even with the MBOX2
attached to my USB port, it says "unsupported device".

I have tried the two last steps of this http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888 but without any success

Any further hints or tipps would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Re: MBox2 issues after upgrading to SL with PT 8.0.3

Have you figured this one out yet? I'm having very similar trouble:

Seeing "unsupported device" in the Core Manager, seeing "0 in / 0 out" in the MIDI setup.

My Mbox 2 won't even light up, but the computer recognizes the hardware as an Mbox 2 in Utilities....

I hope you've worked yours out! (and I hope there's a similar solution for me—thanks!)
Old 04-16-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Re: MBox2 issues after upgrading to SL with PT 8.0.3

This may or may not lead you in the right direction, but it could. Before you launch any of your audio-related applications, open Activity Monitor and see what processes are active - especially non-essential ones. If there are any non-essential ones that are using a significant % of memory, you may want to kill that process. While Act. Mon. is still open, go ahead and launch your audio programs, taking note of what kind of memory use each one demands. It may indicate any kind of conflict/competition for processor or memory use. Hope that gives you some idea.