Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2000, 07:21 PM

Default Did I make a BIG Mistake?

I bought a brand new Dell Dimension thinking it met the specs for the Win98 version of ProTools LE, but I may have misunderstood. As regards the PCI parity setting, I am advised by Dell that "no OEM (HP, Dell, IBM, etc.) manufacturers have this setting".

Got pretty far in the install but get a DAE error when we start to record. Am I S.O.L. (Sh&! out of luck) and did I just waste 3K?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Justin Page
Old 06-22-2000, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Did I make a BIG Mistake?

>>I am advised by Dell that "no OEM (HP, Dell,
>>IBM, etc.) manufacturers have this setting".

I'm not sure what to make of this, given that the IBM Intellistation with which I am writing this has the PCI parity option in the CMOS setup utility.

Anyway, if your machine doesn't have the option, it's most likely because the machine doesn't do PCI parity checking - in which case there'll be no problem with the Digi001 card. (Actually, this is almost certain since your installation went smoothly - the symptom of the PCI parity problem is that the machine won't boot at all!)

>>Got pretty far in the install but get a DAE error when we
>>start to record. Am I S.O.L. (Sh&! out of luck) and
>>did I just waste 3K?

We have no way of knowing what problem you've run into unless you post the specific error number you received. Chances are good that it's something which can be fixed with the correct Pro Tools LE and/or OS configuration.

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

[This message has been edited by Digi Engineering (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 06-24-2000, 02:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by OrbachPageSyndicate:
I bought a brand new Dell Dimension thinking it met the specs for the Win98 version of ProTools LE, but I may have misunderstood.

****Well, I've been having a bit of trouble with Dell myself, and I actually went through the trouble to ask extremely specific questions about the internal architecture, chipset, Flash Bios ... just about everything. I think I frightened the sales guy. So far my only real problem with them is that their tech staff are morons. I added a ATA 66 Controller card so that I could have faster access to the two 30 gig harddrives. Unfortunately they refused to install the 2nd harddrive and instead mailed it out to me seperately. I had no problem with this as I'm pretty handy with installing hardware. However, the ******n 80-pin cable they included with it wasn't long enough to reach the 2nd drive bay!! Their response: Go to a computer store and buy one myself that's long enough. Unfortunately I found out its a special order cable that even CompUSA and CD-W don't regularly keep on the shelves and I have to a wait a couple of days. Currently the 2nd drive is suspende with cable ties inside the tower. As to wasting your money, don't despair because you probably have a good machine; However, I spent about a grand less than you did and still managed to get two 30 Gig Ultra 66 (Quantum Fireball) harddrives, 256 MRAM and an 800 MHZ Processor. I've been told my technicians that Protools LE performance doesn't see any improvement beyond 750 Mhz. Oh yeah, and a free upgrade to a Sony Trinitron monitor.
" As regards the PCI parity setting, I am advised by Dell that "no OEM (HP, Dell, IBM, etc.) manufacturers have this setting".

The other respondant is correct in that these computers most likely wouldn't have PCI parity active (most with less than 500 MB of RAM don't).

I was told I was getting an AWARD BIOS but I think it might actually be a customized PHOENIX. There's no actually documentation on it that I can find. Bastards.

I looked into turnkey systems but it seemed like overkill for something like the Digi 001. Now, I'm not so sure...

Got pretty far in the install but get a DAE error when we start to record. Am I S.O.L. (Sh&! out of luck) and did I just waste 3K?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Justin Page
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-24-2000, 06:09 PM

Oh no. I literally have a Dell Dimension on order and want to use with OO1. It is a 700 MHz and has the a 20GB plus the ATA 66 card. I also ordered another 30GB seagate separately last night. Are your problems what I have to look forward to? Please keep us posted with whatever the fix is!
Thanks!
Ken
Old 06-25-2000, 09:32 PM

I would like to know what the specific error message was, too. Does Orbach have a configuration problem, or are we looking at serious problems with the Dell Dimension.
I purchased a Dell a few months ago anticipating the support of Win98. Just recently got the 001. Scouting around for a second drive to connect to my ATA66 controller before installing the 001.

My Configuration:
Dell XPS T600Mhz PIII
440BX PCI chipset, phoenix bios
128MB SDRAM (pending upgrade to 256)
DVD ROM
CD-RW
32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 Graphics
20GB Maxtor Ultra ATA hd (7200rpm)

The 001 is still in the box, but I'm ready to yank this puppy out as soon as I get and install the second drive. Advice from anyone on the second drive is surely welcomed. And of course I'll keep you guys posted on how it ALL goes.

Nate

Old 06-27-2000, 03:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ken Okaya:
Oh no. I literally have a Dell Dimension on order and want to use with OO1. It is a 700 MHz and has the a 20GB plus the ATA 66 card. I also ordered another 30GB seagate separately last night. Are your problems what I have to look forward to? Please keep us posted with whatever the fix is!
Thanks!
Ken
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-27-2000, 03:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ken Okaya:

***The fix is to order a Belkin 80-pin cable. It is NOT an item that you can walk right into a store and buy, in most cases. Other than that, it seems to be running just fine. For now.

Thanks!
Ken
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-02-2000, 12:37 AM

I have been considering a Dell Deminsion also
but put it off for a while due to cash flow. Well, is there any PC that will work
with Digi001????? I wish Digi would help us
all out here!!!!

Back to thinking about a Mac G4 instead!!!

Old 07-02-2000, 07:41 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nate:
And of course I'll keep you guys posted on how it ALL goes.

Nate

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haven't forgotton my promise to keep you guys posted on my results. In the process of installing a second drive (Maxtor Ultra ATA 66). Well....when it's finished, I'll install the Digi001 and come back to this BB.

Old 07-07-2000, 06:47 AM

Well, I got LE to work on a HP Pavilion which Digidesign says is an unsupported platform! I think almost any PC will work if you're willing to use your noggin-

PK