Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Default HD3 Pcie in thunderbolt chassi?

Anyone?
Now when the new MacPro is coming it would be interesting to know if hd3 is working in a thunderbolt chassi.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Re: HD3 Pcie in thunderbolt chassi?

... And presumably running on OS X Mavericks.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 AM

I know that TDM is now legacy, but don't they give us a few more years of support till they pull the plug on updates?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:17 AM

Yes.

Until end of 2016, and I myself interpret that as in PT10 updates cannot stop before that, because TDM hardware won't run PT11 and later.

However, that only applies to cards fitted to real PCI-express like before Thunderbolt. Avid has no obligation to support Thunderbolt chassis or any other non-Avid chassis. Those may work, or then again, they may not.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
I know that TDM is now legacy, but don't they give us a few more years of support till they pull the plug on updates?

Support - yes.
Updates - not necessarily. All they promise to do it fix your busted stuff and answer your phone calls when you ring them with questions.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
Support - yes.
Updates - not necessarily. All they promise to do it fix your busted stuff and answer your phone calls when you ring them with questions.
Yep, hard to say.

It was easy to leave PPC Macs behind, because there were no OS updates since the last Leopard. And whatever plugins worked back then continue to work because there have not been any updates.

But all current PT10 TDM Mac systems are PCI-express and run on hardware that is getting OS updates for some time (probably as long as Avid needs to support the systems), and here's the problem:

1) Stay where you are. Do not update anything, like in getting rid of PPC hardware. Also do not update plugins and do not buy any new plugins that may or may not require OSX newer than Mountain Lion.

2) Keep the OS current, keep the plugins current, buy new plugins, and get PT 10.3.x udpates to keep up with the OS changes.

Those are the two options Avid has, and if they choose the former, I don't like it at all. In my book they must choose the latter.

That said;

I only know about Mac systems, but Windows is a moving target right now as well. Maybe even more than OSX, because of the W8 GUI change and all. If they choose the former option, that leaves Windows TDM systems out in the cold.