Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Windows PC not protools

OK... I have protools... love it... but i also have a few other DAWS and a windows 7 based PC custom rack mount I use for music production... I want to use this system with an SC48 on a gig coming up... I also want to use Studio One DAW to record it.

I have two machines that are PC based... an Open Labs Sound Slate Pro... rack mount unit with Windows 7 and I also have an Open Labs XXL workstation that is PC based with XP...

I believe the SC48 should work with either unit win-7 or XP?...

I am wanting to bring the XXL to record multi track and as it has the screen and qwerty all built in and I can also use it for DJ Playback music before and between sets.

will I run into any issues with XP and the SC48?

I really don't want to pull the Big-Mac and a monitor and keyboard and mouse from the studio...
Old 04-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Windows PC not protools

Not sure I understand the question. If you have an appropriate interface you could potentially use any daw or computer. Just depends on how you plan to extract the tracks from the SC48. If you plan to use the built in firewire interface, you will only be able to use protools.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Not sure I understand the question. If you have an appropriate interface you could potentially use any daw or computer. Just depends on how you plan to extract the tracks from the SC48. If you plan to use the built in firewire interface, you will only be able to use protools.
Hmm, I'm a PT user, I need to check this but I think my friend is using his SC48 / FWx with Cubase.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Well... I think I can use any DAW as long as the puter sees it... I have used Ableton with it when I set up a transfer station using the SC48 to transfer older ADAT sessions... we had a session happening at the same time and the PT systems need the dang dongle so I just did it with Ableton on a mac laptop... I was just wondering if anyone else has used it with other DAWs and a PC and has any hints or tips.

I have protools on my Mac system in the studio but this is a live recording and I'm not ripping the PT system out and will hopefully use my XXL with Studio One or Ableton... I have a Presonus 24.4.2 console but I need more than 24 inputs... I love My protools for doing studio sessions but Studio One is what I like to use on my Home rig for song writing and Ableton for MIDI work... and I want to mix this later on my home system in Studio One... I have Protools, Ableton, Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and some weird ones too... I might get Ptools going on my PC before the gig but I really like the simple dumb no hassle way Studio One workflow is... and i don't need a dongle
Old 04-20-2014, 04:47 PM

My bad, I may be wrong about firewire. I'd be pleased to hear you can use other DAWs with the interface. I've been using Reaper for all my tracking lately and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 PM

You can use FWx with any DAW, you need to download the appropriate drivers. In my case on the Mac, I believe it was in the same place (or even could have been the same driver) as the 003 and 002. It should be noted however, that you are limited to 18in/18out with other DAW's besides Pro Tools 10+. If you use Pro Tools 10 and above, you can have 32 in/32 out with the updated FWx drivers.
Sacramento, CA
Old 04-21-2014, 04:38 AM

Just recorded 32 tracks via FWx to reaper on my HP Probook 4530, using the SIIG FW card.
120 minutes without a glitch.

I just wish they would update the driver to work with Win8.1, as that is my go to OS.

Regards,
Sidhu