Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Default OK, opinions on computer choice

A friend just got a 002r about 2 month ago and was owns a G4 500.
He was going to go PC to save money then the Mac Mini caught his eye.
He then tells me that he noticed that the eMac 1.2g is pretty much the same machine but would give him a monitor and 2 Firewire ports.
He was concerned about the capatability so I told him that if he gets either and it doesn't workout I would take it off his hands since my 5 1/2 year old son school uses Macs and he has an old original iMac blueberry.
Back to the other reality I want to hope that either would work for him, but are there any real world reasons or opinions on why you would pick one over the other to try and use with a 002r?
Is the monitor on the eMac bad? Would it be ok for PT? He's currently using a 17" older Compaq monitor.
Will the eMac give him any expansion advantages over the Mac Mini?
Should he just go with the Mini and use his current monitor and keyboard?
I kinda win either way since I will end up with the G4 500 for my son.
Thanks for your opinions
Old 02-17-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: OK, opinions on computer choice

if noise is an issue, I would go for the MacMini. eMacs are great but they do make a bit of noise and it's right in your face, whereas with the MacMini you can allways tuck it away somewhere to reduce noise interference.

I don't think there is much difference in expandability really.

allthough many people run eMacs successfully, be sure to check compato site.

personally I would go for the Mini for flexibility, like a bigger monitor, and portability, - and naturally for looks!

or maybe consider an iBook instead!?

lnl
Old 02-17-2005, 05:28 AM

i think the e mac is a much better solution for a daw over the mac mini its more expandable if you need to conect an extra hard drive or so .... but if youre mac mini comes with the extra ram a super drive or other spec

i really would need to now more of ech computer spec to now wich is better for you

hope to be helpfull

andy
Old 02-17-2005, 07:09 AM

the emac is good but it's really noisy, there's also the Imac G5
the emac screen is ok for protools.
One thing is keep in mind that Apple develops soft for the g5 and the futur 64bit CPU's so . .
second hand G5 is a good idea too.