Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Location: Northern tip of the gorgeous Wasatch mountain range
Default Re: 11R live issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameristos View Post
well, my worst nightmare came true. i guess it was my own fault, but i just HAD to install the firmware update to 1.0.3 hours before a show, in the pit for a musical, with time crunching away & becoming my nemesis.

my midi pedalboard completely stopped working, and no matter what i did, it wouldn't return. all this two hours before the show opened. i had to literally change my presets by hand. i was so pissed.

ya know, guitarist switching presets with his hand means one of them can't be on the guitar. it was brutal!!!

i guess i will try to reinstall the firmware v1.0.2 (backwards) and hope my pedal comes back for the remainder of the shows this weekend, and then figure it out monday when i have the night off.

to clarify, the boss pedal plugged into the expression port worked like a charm. it was my rocktron all access that wouldn't change presets.

any help??? is it even possible to go backwards installing firmware? i'm desperate.
Yeah, I think blewis is onto the right kind of idea. It is probably something simple just like, if not in fact, the midi channel being reset. Unfortunately, I can only guess, because I never have had any issues with my controller after any of the FW updates. In fact I am surprised you did have such trouble. Good luck. Keep us posted on the trouble shooting.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Avid

FWIW, here's a video on using Eleven Rack with foot controllers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ugBnP_o5I
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Doube check your MIDI channel in User Options. It may have been reset when you upgraded.
yeah. that's where i'm going to start. thanks for the advice. i watched a video last night on youtube and have an idea how to start correcting the problem.

if the user options > midi doesn't work, i will then try to backwards install the older firmware.

i went into panic mode when things stopped working & because of it, i probably overlooked something very simple. i was in just make something work mode...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameristos View Post
well, my worst nightmare came true. i guess it was my own fault, but i just HAD to install the firmware update to 1.0.3 hours before a show, in the pit for a musical, with time crunching away & becoming my nemesis.

my midi pedalboard completely stopped working, and no matter what i did, it wouldn't return. all this two hours before the show opened. i had to literally change my presets by hand. i was so pissed.
Oh man. I really feel for you. I have never had such a malfunction before a show. I can't possibly imagine how you were feeling .

I 'really' hope you get all your problems sorted.

The reason I am so interested in your post is because I am thinking of taking the 11R live and am currently looking at pedalboards as of 2 days ago. So please keep us posted of your progress.

And Chris thanks for that vid.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:33 AM

well, as of the end of tonight, i could NOT get the midi pedal to work at all. i tried the midi channels, all of them and the omni... i reset the pedal itself. nothing worked. it was a horrible situation that i absolutely need to find a solution for quickly.

i have another midi pedal i will test out tomorrow at home and see if it was a pedal issue or an 11R issue.

still quite upset at myself for installing the firmware upgrade that did nothing but hurt me.

and for what it's worth, i tried to install 1.0.2, and it didn't do anything. i guess you can't go backwards.

if anybody knows how to downgrade the firmware, please let me know. i might start a new post.......

so far, not a fan of 1.0.3.

thanks everybody.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 AM

I use both a GC Pro and a Rocktron Midi Xpression regularly live with the 11R, and it's been flawless - with an M-Audio expression pedal plugged directly into the footpedal CC jacks (the taper on the EV5 never worked for me, btw).

The Xpression only has two CC inputs which are pre-set to CC7 and 17, respectively.

However, on my older Rocktron MIDImate, the expression jack just plain stinks and is pretty much unusable, so maybe that behavior is similar on your larger Rocktron.

Your description of the pedal behavior sounds a lot like a microprocessor in the footpedal dying to me. I know it sounds weird, but is it possible that the MIDI pedal died just then? Have you connected it to any other MIDI devices to see if it works with them?

Obviously, the Persistent Volume pedal option should fix your volume pedal jumps on CC7 (and was the feature I battled hard for before the launch , but also look out for things like the FX Loop spuriously getting turned on, or anything else that would cause a mute state.

1.0.3 has been working well for most folks, so I'm sorry you've been having a pickle. For a theater gig, the 11R should be slaying for you, so hopefully you can get this stuff ironed out asap.

S..

Scofield...
Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halley View Post
I know it sounds weird, but is it possible that the MIDI pedal died just then?
S..
ok. i have to apologize to anyone if my posts have mislead or tarnished their opinion of using the eleven rack live. i use it exclusively, and minus my weekend of terror, it has held up and shines in all environments.

here is my update. i feel like an idiot, but it goes to show it's always something simple that gets overlooked.

today was the first day i had a chance to test my all access midi pedal on other gear. when plugged in (using my phantom power midi cable) it didn't even turn on. so i ran the power direct to it, presto. power. then i ran a regular midi cable to my other rack pieces & the eleven rack, and it works!!!

it wasn't my midi pedal, but i believe the phantom powered midi cable just happened to be dying that weekend, had enough to send power to the pedal, but not enough to communicate messages. i'm so glad it was something simple. insert "bonk on the head" here... yikes!

i plan to keep using firmware 1.0.3 as now i see it works amazingly and it was my overlooked power/midi cable that was the culprit.

again, sorry for bashing on things before i had a full diagnosis. i was stressed. the eleven rack and this user forum are both amazing and i appreciate everyone's feedback, support, and willingness to troubleshoot with me.

thank you all.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halley View Post
For a theater gig, the 11R should be slaying for you, so hopefully you can get this stuff ironed out asap.

S..
and yeah sean, it does slay in the pit for a theater/musical gig. i have everything i need when the sheet music asks for it. i can access everything quickly during rehearsal using the user interface, and it sounds live like it does when i'm home programming the presets. (the only little tweak i would love would be to access the interface on my laptop in a separate program instead of having to start up pro tools... but it's so minor, i just don't open a project and i'm ready to go!)

exactly why i purchased it!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Location: Northern tip of the gorgeous Wasatch mountain range

Good news!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Glad you got things working. Sometimes those "simple things" are amazingly hard to find, particularly when you have the pressure of an imminent gig