Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Video Choppy After Waves Plugins Added

Does anybody know if Pro Tools 9 is video card intensive? We were playing around with a couple of audio track (24/44.1k) playback and added a bus to a track with the H-Comp Waves plugin and the playback "cursor" got really choppy... tested it with a couple of other Waves plugins and varies levels of the same but when they're removed it goes back to normal. I should state that even with the plugin bypassed the playback cursor was choppy (not the sound). Checked the buffer and it was at 1024, CPU is at around 10%, Memory at about 2.5G of 8G... Hard drive at about 2%...

All on a Windows 7 64bit Machine. The video card is above average, but nothing special - I just didn't see this software really being video intensive...

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Robert.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Video Choppy After Waves Plugins Added

Video is demanding. Bypassing a plugin doesn't save cpu cycles. You would have to make inactive. If we knew about your system we might make some good suggestions. What compression format is your video? Photo jpeg is one of the least demanding. Is it on a separate drive from your system drive. do you have a dedicated and supported audio drive? How many processors for rtas in the playback engine? How long is the video? What other plugs/instruments in the session?

Lots of factors.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincol1 View Post
Video is demanding. Bypassing a plugin doesn't save cpu cycles. You would have to make inactive. If we knew about your system we might make some good suggestions. What compression format is your video? Photo jpeg is one of the least demanding. Is it on a separate drive from your system drive. do you have a dedicated and supported audio drive? How many processors for rtas in the playback engine? How long is the video? What other plugs/instruments in the session?

Lots of factors.
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear - I'm not running video... It's just a multi-track mix... The video aspect was just referring to the playback cursor on the screen while it moves from left to right along the track timeline...

The computer is an i7 950 Bloomfield, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard, Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 Mem 8G. 2x Seagate Barracude XT 2TB 6Gb/s hard drives, and a GeForce 9800 GT XFX 512 MB DDR3 graphics card.

Have have the Playback Engine set using 8 procs at 85%.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcstx View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear - I'm not running video... It's just a multi-track mix... The video aspect was just referring to the playback cursor on the screen while it moves from left to right along the track timeline...

The computer is an i7 950 Bloomfield, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard, Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 Mem 8G. 2x Seagate Barracude XT 2TB 6Gb/s hard drives, and a GeForce 9800 GT XFX 512 MB DDR3 graphics card.

Have have the Playback Engine set using 8 procs at 85%.
Try setting it to 6 processors instead of 8. It may help.

Also make sure your running the latest Waves version. One of the later 7.x updates fixed a graphics issue. Although I think the issue had more to do with resolution and redraws of the text and numeric displays in the actual plug in interface.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Well, I upgraded the video card to an ASUS GTX460 and it improved considerably.... I guess it's just graphics card intensive.... I think that's strange , but oh well - all is right with the world again... :) It only happened when the Waves plug-in was open for editing parameters... They're all version 8 BTW... I can't believe that the plug-in interface is that poorly written, graphically... :)

Win 7 Pro 64bit | i7 950 Bloomfield | 12G Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 Mem | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2T 6Gb/s hard drives | ASUS ENGTX460 1G GDDR5 Graphics Card.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM

Glad it worked out...

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcstx View Post
Well, I upgraded the video card to an ASUS GTX460 and it improved considerably....
Does that mean it behaves like all other plugs or is there still some sort of delay? I just rebuilt my machine with Win 7 and PT 9.01 and noticed this as well.

Under XP and PT 8.03 all waves plugs did not have this delay....

If I buy a card I hope it fixes it, but I don't want to waste money if it doesn't fix it completely...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM

8GB of RAM, and three ATI HD5450 vid cards. And no issues with Waves V8r3. We run very heavy on Waves in our sessions.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com