Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 AM

Default Trouble Importing OMF

I got an OMF file from my editor (separate AIFF audio) and every time I try to import it on PT i get the error "Could not complete the Open Session... (or "Import Tracks...") command because: An assertion occurred...".

After browsing the net, I found out that there were 2 possible reasons: 1 was a bit rate of 32 and the other was corrupted fade files.

My editor re-sent me an OMF exported in 16 bit (although he was sure the 1st one was as well) and I got the message again.

I tried opening the OMF on another software to eliminate the fade files and it crashed.

Does anyone know what I can do to get it to work?

I'm using Pro Tools 10 on Mac OS X 3.7 GHz Quad Core with 12 GB memory.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Trouble Importing OMF

Any ideas about what program they are using to export their omf?
There have been known issues between pro tools and adobe premiere for years now. That could be it.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
Any ideas about what program they are using to export their omf?
There have been known issues between pro tools and adobe premiere for years now. That could be it.
Yup, he’s on Premiere.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 AM

So A while back, I found this document online that explains the exact steps needed to get an omf from premiere to work in pro tools, and it has to do with the way it is exported out of premiere. It's a little older now, so hopefully not too much is different with newer versions and all that fun stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2i...NHbmhQaEU/edit

Hope it helps you out.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:51 PM

OMF problems just suck. I've had so many weird things happen with OMF files who knows?

Here's what I'd do--make sure you're editor is upgraded to the latest edition of Premiere.

Second, tell the editor to export separate OMF's in smaller files; tracks 1-4, 2-8, etc. until you get the entire project. This helps you narrow down what tracks are problematic. The OMF's that do fail, those are your problem tracks. Keep narrowing down the issue.

Sometimes material isn't recorded at consistent frame rates or bit depths. This sometimes causes issues with OMF exports.

Third--for the OMF's that did fail, try an AAF instead. AAF's (from my experience) strip original file names but are a little more reliable than OMF files.