Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Dr. Rex ROCK loops...

Anyone know where I can get some ROCK loops for Dr. Rex? I'm a little irritated that there isn't much in this style that ships with Reason. Hip Hop is the closest and almost none of those are staight beats. I know Propellerhead has a slicing app (recycle?). Anybody have any oppinions how that compares to abelton live? or how it is in general?....
Old 11-09-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Dr. Rex ROCK loops...

Do a search for reel drums and DBFH, several of us have been threading on it for the past few days. If you want a quick solution, just go to dedrum within reason and draw in some quick patterns. I started to use my Oxy8 for it, but found it easier to just drawn in some quick rock patterns. In fact I pretty much copied note what the real drummer did on the 4 min song under an hour. Go to redrum and pick a set that has drums samples similiar to what you want and use reason's pencil tool to draw them in. If you have any queries, send me an email and I will give you my cell. Although the weather over here in SW Houston if sweet today, I might have to go outside and hang awhile... [email protected]
Old 11-09-2003, 01:39 PM

PDEES thanks for the tip and the offer. I'm pretty decent at doing the midi drum thing with my keyboard. I actually use the free kit from Natural Studio with the NN-XT. I've been meaning the check out Da Basstards! kit, though. I hear it is good. I have this one tune I'm working on where I was hoping to find a good loop in Reason for the verse, but searched to no avail. Nothing but Hip Hop, Techno, Industrial and House.

I'm going to fire you an email to see what kinda stuff you are into. I'm in s/w houston, too.
Peace.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:54 PM

There's some great resources for this stuff at www.reasonstation.net . many fan sites and free downloads are available all over the net, too, a little searching will give you many hits.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:34 PM

Mike,
I need to borrow your thread to ask another DrRex question if you don't mind. I'm pretty new to it though I'm already using it....but I wanted to ask you guys about this.

Let's say I draw DrRex into 2 measures in the Reason sequencer window, careful that it starts right at the beginning of the measure. Well, sometimes the loop is not the same as in 'Preview' when it's played with the track. It plays in time, but seems 'jumbled up'...so it comes out as a different loop basically..... best I can describe it anyway.
Given this is with 'Preview' off. Do you know what may cause this?
thanks, Roy
Old 11-09-2003, 05:40 PM

roy, are the MIDI notes that get printed onto the sequencer arranged in this funky, different-from-the-preview pattern, or is it maybe something fishy with the MIDI timing in the 'puter? i dunnno. strange stuff. it's never happened to me.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:32 PM

kmshroom...
Wouldn't you know it, but I can't recreate the problem now that I have a chance for some advice. I had moved on when it was acting up, and though I'm doing the same thing now, it's working perfectly. I just wanted to see if it sounded obvious to anyone.
Reason does seem to act a little fluky for me sometimes. For instance, sometimes inserting various ReDrum patterns in the Reason seq. window works, and sometimes it will not respond. But it may just be a little Midi confusion, because I use both the PT sequencer w/Reason sounds and the Reason sequencer w/Redrum or Dr Rex. Plus I have a Korg sound module into PT midi/PT sequencer. So there's a lot going on, and being fairly new to Reason, I'm not sure if Reason is just 'fluky' sometimes, or if it's just something I may be doing wrong each time.
Does Reason ever act 'fickled' with any of you guys?
thanks, Roy
Old 11-09-2003, 07:10 PM

Roy, I have only had reason for 2 weeks now and just played with dedrum, thus haven't seen any quirks yet. Have you posted this over at the prop BB?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:16 PM

Thanks Kevin,
I'll check it out over there...
Old 11-09-2003, 07:26 PM

Roy,
As I recall there is a "mix it up" (my name not theirs) feature on Dr. REX that mixes up the output. Maybe you activated that by accident.

PDEES,
For realistic drums, I highly recommend the Natural Kit for NN-XT instead of using Re-Drum.
web page
The ns_kit samples load into nn-xt and give you a bit more dynamics and more sounds (drums) to work with than Re-Drum will allow....

What is impressive about re-drum to me is you can load it up with huge files (like complete songs) and trigger each simulataneously and instantaniously. I was WOW'd by the power.

Asus A7V8x-x, XP2500+ Barton, 1GB DDR333,
120GB x2 HDDs, ATI Radeon 9000
DaveC = 32 + 6 aux