Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Should I buy an iMac?

Hey guys, I'm a long time Windows User... Not really by choice, well sort of... I grew up around Windows machines and only got the chance to work on a mac a few years ago for about 5 months. And let me tell you, it was great. Ever since then I've really wanted to buy a Mac. And right now, the most affordable Mac to get is an iMac.

I was looking to get the 21.5 inch version with 16gb ram and 3.1ghz quad core processor.. i7 with 512mb video card. Right now I have a windows computer with 8gb ram, 3.4 ghz single core i7 with a 1gb graphics card.

I'd be using the iMac for primarly pro tools, but also light video editing in adobe premiere. So here are my questions..

1) Judging by both specs from both my current computer and the iMac, do you think the iMac would perform quicker and more smoothly than my windows computer within PT and just everyday use?

2) With the specs of the iMac what would be my limits within pro tools? how many plugins do you think it could handle without overloading my cpu?

3) My other, much more expensive option is a mac pro (not a macbook pro).. but to purchase a good mac pro it would cost roughly $1000 dollars more than the iMac.. and that's for the worst version (but decked out) of the mac pro. So would it be worth it saving up for a Mac Pro?

4) I know this isn't the ideal place to ask this question, but music / mixing is often linked with video editing. Maybe some people on here might dabble in the video editing field... So do you think this computer would run smoothly and fast in Preimere? Right now my current computer works great with adobe premiere, but it has a 1gb graphics card and the imac only has a 512mb graphics card.. I don't know how much of a difference that would make in terms of speed and overall performane.

If anyone could answer my questions in number format along with any additional advice or insight that would be super duper great!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Should I buy an iMac?

no1? should this have been mvoed to pt10 general discussion???

any mac users / anyone with some mac knowledge wana help a bro out?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Ideally, if you're going to get an Imac, what you want is the special order top line 3.4 I7 Imac (order from the Apple online store and select the higher processor). It should handle almost anything you throw at it for both music and video editing. The large screen will help as well, along with the more powerful graphics card.

In addition, the RAM is user replaceable, whereas with the 21" version it's not. This will be even more important when Protools goes 64 bit and can make use of the extra ram. The nice thing is that you can add that later when you're ready.

And it's still cheaper than a Mac Pro and equivalent display.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Windows/Mac - both can and do get the job done. Pick an OS platform you like, and get to work. Lately, I own Win 7 for ProTools (and Sony Vegas for video). I also freelance at Mac ProTools studios. Both work well !!! Macs are pricey. I actually enjoyed building my current Win 7 rig. You posted in the Mac forum, so you'll get mostly Mac-oriented replies. My 2 cents.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

i have the 3.4 imac referenced by nst7 in my home studio
and a 2.66 quad mac pro in the studio running an hd4.

i can create mixes on the imac
that when i bring them in to the studio
chokes the mac pro with the 4 cards.

besides audio i run final cut pro on the imac,
and have done multi cams edits with up to 7 1080 vids running at once.

also, go to the refurb store within apple and get the imac for a few hunnerd sheckels less
plus get one that's been more checked out.

e
for the record studios
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM

One important thing to consider about the newest iMacs is that if any component fails you will need to return it to Apple for servicing. So when (not if) the hard drive dies, you will have no computer while Apple services it. And last time I checked Apple's minimum out-of-warranty service charge is $700.

Performance-wise, a 512gb graphics card will be less snappy than the 1gb card you have-but I think the iMac should be faster overall so that might even out.

It might make sense for you to look into a used Mac Pro, as you can replace every component yourself, and upgrade the graphics cards (or install 2) as you need to.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 PM

true that, tho any pro user of apple should get apple care;
think i found my 3 yr plan discounted for $112.

all my repairs thru the business geniuses have been same or next day.
(incl. a logic board on the mac pro.)

e
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM

thanks for the help guys.

one of my other options would be the 27 inch imac.. but I thought this would be too big of a screen, I'm gonna go test it out ina few days to get an idea of how big it actually is.

If I was to get a 27 inch imac with stock 8gb of ram, could I just get my own ram to upgrade as opposed to buying ram from apples site?

Here is some ram I was looking at:
http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-...m6a1600c9.html

I noticed that this came in six 4gb pieces... could all of that fit in the remaining ram slots in the 27 inch imac?

What do yall think about pt with the 27 inch imac and just the 27 inch imac in general?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Default Should I buy an iMac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbee View Post
the 27 inch imac.. but I thought this would be too big of a screen
Nah it's not !!! If ur gonna get the iMac go with the 27"

I just got a 27" monitor for my MP and it doesn't even seem that big anymore
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM

Yes, with the 27" version you can install your own Ram. On the 21" you can't.

Also, it is not $700 minimum charge. It's around $80-100 to replace a hard drive in an Imac (besides the cost of the new hard drive, which you'd have anyway).