How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Default Help! PT 9.0.5 won't even TRY to install on Mountain Lion

Hi everyone, I'm stuck.

I have a brand new Macbook Air, I can't get 9.0.5 to even begin to install — the installer icon bounces endlessly in the dock for a few minutes, and then stops bouncing but never does anything. I do have the System Prefs set to allow applications from anywhere, but no luck. I've installed several other applications (including Ableton Live Suite 8) with no problem. Once the installer stalls, Activity Monitor shows it using 0.0% CPU, and I've left it for quite a while to see if it ever would decide to do anything.

As an aside: I have been running PT 9.0.6 quite fine on a 1.5 year old Macbook Pro, under Mountain Lion (and Lion before that). FYI the Pro had Lion when I got it, and I installed PT 9.0.5 and then upgraded to 9.0.6 before upgrading to Mountain Lion. This had me assuming I'd be able to run it on the new Air...

Has anyone been able to install 9.0.5 on a clean Mountain Lion install? Any suggestions? This machine will be pretty useless to me if i can't run PT on it!

thanks
peter in oakland
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Help! PT 9.0.5 won't even TRY to install on Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Hi everyone, I'm stuck.

I have a brand new Macbook Air, I can't get 9.0.5 to even begin to install — the installer icon bounces endlessly in the dock for a few minutes, and then stops bouncing but never does anything. I do have the System Prefs set to allow applications from anywhere, but no luck. I've installed several other applications (including Ableton Live Suite 8) with no problem. Once the installer stalls, Activity Monitor shows it using 0.0% CPU, and I've left it for quite a while to see if it ever would decide to do anything.

As an aside: I have been running PT 9.0.6 quite fine on a 1.5 year old Macbook Pro, under Mountain Lion (and Lion before that). FYI the Pro had Lion when I got it, and I installed PT 9.0.5 and then upgraded to 9.0.6 before upgrading to Mountain Lion. This had me assuming I'd be able to run it on the new Air...

Has anyone been able to install 9.0.5 on a clean Mountain Lion install? Any suggestions? This machine will be pretty useless to me if i can't run PT on it!

thanks
peter in oakland
Hi,

As its not officially supported thats why the complete installer won't work. It will only work if you have PT 9 installed before updating to ML. and then its not supported so could have issues with some scenarios or plugins etc.

Either upgrade to PT 10.3 which is supported on ML or you could try connecting the mac pro via firewire and boot the laptop holding the T key and try to copy the PT9 files over.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Hi everyone, I'm stuck.

thanks
peter in oakland
open terminal: gdb test

tell what it says.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM

I am having the same problem. Have a MBP with mountain lion and had pro tools 9.0.5 on it yesterday but i was having issues so i uninstalled and was going to clean install and upgrade to 9.0.6 but now i cant get anything to install. Icon just bounces around.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Also like to add i tried two different full installers, both did the same thing.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
Also like to add i tried two different full installers, both did the same thing.

tell what it says.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henks View Post

tell what it says.
unknowne0f84707cffc:~ KrisHeinold$ gdb test
-bash: gdb: command not found
unknowne0f84707cffc:~ KrisHeinold$
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM

skype me
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henks View Post
skype me
I'm at our locker getting gear ready for a show on Saturday which i was going to record with my comp. Can you give any idea's on here? Or is the installer just not compatible? The 9.0.6 updater opened up fine but obviously couldn't find pro tools.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Have problem with Avid Forums Web Side on/off