Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Default Would you buy a 003 now?

Pro Tools 11 asides, would you buy a 003r now? I've been on 5.3.1 since it came out so I think I could probably do without PT11 when it hits the stores, whenever that will be.

I've been doing my homework with the 3rd party interfaces, already been unhappy with one, and now I am seeing floor model 003r's at some music stores for decent prices and it's tempting me.

I'm not a newbie with this stuff, but I feel defeated and on my own. I've already got PT10, and sank a lot of money into it and the new i7 build. Now I need to get something that really works without having to test drive every 3rd party device out there, ultimately to lead to disappointment each time. No tech support either, and the DUC doesn't even seem to have answers anymore. It just seems very indecisive and ambiguous when it comes to getting some of these devices to work.

If you were not worried about PT11 at this point, would you consider buying one?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a 003 now?

I would maybe buy a used one at a good price(under $500) because it simply integrates a little better than many 3rd party boxes(which mostly need some monitoring utility). Now if anyone is using another FW interface, please counter my opinion(after all, it IS only an opinion).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Well thanks Albee. I would have thought there would have been more opinions about this unless it's been hashed to death already. It's not like the old days a thread like this would go twenty pages.

I think I am going to give the 003 a try,... maybe in a couple of years they'll get the third party devices down pat.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM

I wouldn't.

Buying an 003 now, when you have SOO many more options, seems like a waste of money IMO.

Plenty of similar interfaces out there with far more features for similar prices, and you don't have to worry about them being obsolete in a year. Plus, a lot of other interfaces just sound better in general for the price, or offer more I/O, better internal routing, more software features, etc. Plus, the 003 won't even do basic things that everything else can, like Aggregate I/O support, or multi-client routing.

I'd at least do some shopping around before going with the tired old 003. It was good for when you NEEDED it for Pro Tools... but now it seems kinda silly compared to what else is out there, especially since Avid has clearly shown how much they still care for it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM

OK well I admit I've only tried one interface and that is the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.... I struggled with it for a week and gave up.

I have to have lots of inputs and specifically I need lightpipe ins to be able to use my preamp. With those requirements, that leaves me about 4 different options out there that are in my price range. I've tried one of those and it didn't work. Among them are the M-Audio Profire 2626 and I've read nothing but compaints about it for lack of low-latency monitoring.

There might be a lot of options out there, but not too many that meet my specific needs.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Its worth noting that I run all my "money" channels into the 003 via lightpipe(so the sonics, or lack thereof, are not critical for me). If I were shopping right now, I would consider the Saffire LS56(except I have read about some issues) or the UA Apollo(which looks very nice, pretty pricey, and doesn't work on Windows yet). MOTU and Metric Halo are also worth a look(but I did buy a 003rack 6 months ago for $300, so deals are out there).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM

yea I've found a floor model of the 003 for $449, 30 day warranty too. It probably didn't get much use other than being a display model.

Some of those you've mentioned are way out of my present price range, but the MOTU stuff is worth looking into.

The MOTU 8pre would be perfect, but it only has one stereo output (which is just appallingly stupid). I need at least two for the monitors and headphone amp and more for the other outboard gear. The MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid is more money than I want to spend, but it has everything I need.

Tried the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and was plagued with ASIO problems and tried every recommended fix other than ASIO4ALL (that renders your optical in's useless apparently). So I am staying away from Focusrite for now.

The M-Audio 2626 looks great, but there has been a ton of bitching about it for lack of LLM. Again, just stupid.

The Mackie Onyx Blackbird has everything I need, but no midi ports. Not that I use them much, but I do occasionally.

The Steinberg MR816 X looks interesting, but seems like it was made for Cubase... would it work with PT10? Downside, no midi ports.

Those are pretty much my options as far as I can tell by scouring the online retailers.

This leads me to another question... What do you do if you don't have midi jacks on your device? I don't use midi very much at all, but I would like to get more into it.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM

There are many different midi to usb interfaces that work well. That seems to be the way of the future which is why companies are putting them on interfaces less and less.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM

The onyx blackbird is pretty cool. Ive had some major and minor driver problems with it. I would not recommend it. But it sounds good- better than good when it works. A midi sport for $20 would be a great investment if you use real midi allot as you can have as many of them connected as you like.

All that said. I'm hooking up the ol 003R+ right now to do some ruff tracks in the living room. I don't find it much better or worse than anything else in the price range. In fact $300-$600 I don't think you can beat a 003. While protools may phase them out w/ v11 as long as ASIO drivers are available for the 003 its not in any different support situation than any other 3rd party box.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM

if i had not selected the HD route wich i just did very recently i would get the RME UFX. Very nice sound and lost of I/O. I tested it against my Mbox 3 Pro some months ago, and it had noticable better conversion. Note that the Mbox 3 Pro is considered pretty good at that price.

From what I heard and read conversion of 003 and the old Mbox 2 Pro is the same. In that is true I would not bother wasting time and money on a 003.

I had Mbox 2 Pro for many years befor I got the Mbox 3 Pro and comparing them side by side I have to say the Mbox 3 Pro is in another league. Its got much better conversion. its like a blanket is removed from the converters.

The UFX is in the same league but a bit better in my opinion. It sounds a bit more detailed and soft.

At this point there are many betters options than the 003.
I would look elsewere.