Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Digi 004?

I've read a couple of post about a Digi 004 and I want to ask how well do you think it would do in todays enviroment. I mean even Avid itself has gotten into bed with focusrite on the Saffire series. And when you look at Steinbergs new UR824 (or even the MR series) or Presonus Audio box, how would it hold up? Another note is with these interfaces and the specs I read, they all have great convertors and could easily hold there own against some of the higher priced interfaces. heck even the new Mbox 3 series is quality.

So what would make you want to buy one? Me, if it were bundled with a copy of PTHD10 or free copy of PT10, I would go for it. Otherwise, there are too many options. On another note, with all of these high quality options, would you really need HD Native (other than for tracking large sessions)? I mean some of the $500-$1000 interfaces I have heard are so good, now days its a matter of preference, not quality per se. Remember music is Mp3 these days and listened through ear buds or cars!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Digi 004?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
I've read a couple of post about a Digi 004 and I want to ask how well do you think it would do in todays enviroment. I mean even Avid itself has gotten into bed with focusrite on the Saffire series. And when you look at Steinbergs new UR824 (or even the MR series) or Presonus Audio box, how would it hold up? Another note is with these interfaces and the specs I read, they all have great convertors and could easily hold there own against some of the higher priced interfaces. heck even the new Mbox 3 series is quality.

So what would make you want to buy one? Me, if it were bundled with a copy of PTHD10 or free copy of PT10, I would go for it. Otherwise, there are too many options. On another note, with all of these high quality options, would you really need HD Native (other than for tracking large sessions)? I mean some of the $500-$1000 interfaces I have heard are so good, now days its a matter of preference, not quality per se. Remember music is Mp3 these days and listened through ear buds or cars!!!
I'll bite.

A 004 would need converters or pres as good or better than the MBox3 Pro at minimum and equal to whatever's out there in its intended price point. It would need to offer some unique features and tighter Pro Tools integration that only a in house interface could provide. Its should come with PT10 or 11 at a price that makes the bundle a no brainer. They should offer an attractive hardware exchange for all of the existing 003, 002, Mbox2 users who's hardware is soon to be EOL. They should also include an upgrade path's for current 11R and MBox3 users that wish to move up to better hardware and those who mave have already purchased whatever version of the Pro Tools software it will ship with.

Meet those requirements and they will have a winner. Ignore any of those points and sales will be lackluster at best.

I think that having the first 2-4 analog inputs using the same DSP as the 11R would be pretty neat and you could select between an 11R mode and a DSP front end designed for vocals and tracking. Combine this with cue mixing at the interface level and you would have something brag about.

I see the main competitors to a 004 as being the Saffire56 and HD|Native

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I'll bite.

A 004 would need converters or pres as good or better than the MBox3 Pro at minimum and equal to whatever's out there in its intended price point. It would need to offer some unique features and tighter Pro Tools integration that only a in house interface could provide. Its should come with PT10 or 11 at a price that makes the bundle a no brainer. They should offer an attractive hardware exchange for all of the existing 003, 002, Mbox2 users who's hardware is soon to be EOL. They should also include an upgrade path's for current 11R and MBox3 users that wish to move up to better hardware and those who mave have already purchased whatever version of the Pro Tools software it will ship with.

Meet those requirements and they will have a winner. Ignore any of those points and sales will be lackluster at best.

I think that having the first 2-4 analog inputs using the same DSP as the 11R would be pretty neat and you could select between an 11R mode and a DSP front end designed for vocals and tracking. Combine this with cue mixing at the interface level and you would have something brag about.

I see the main competitors to a 004 as being the Saffire56 and HD|Native
good thing there, but I don't think we'll see a new console before pt 11 is officially announce. People should prepare by saving money right now for a new one (if a new one comes), we can wait for the namm to show up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM

There are some good options out there, such as:

Liquid Sapphire 56
RME UFX
Aurora 8 and 16
And many more.

It would be nice to have something that would put the dollars into the hands of those that create the software we all use daily. Ideally with enough inputs to track a drum kit live. (12-16)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Why discontinue 003 before there is a 004? Why kill LE before there's no other alternative than handing out $499 for the crossgrade to PT10. Because there will be no successors. MBox will also phase out. In stead AVID will use the M-Audio brand as a stepping stone for this product segment in the future. I dont know about converter quality, but feature wise, e.g. the Profire 2626 is already superior to 003 in some aspects (at least extremely overlapping). C400 and C600 (and even the older Fast Track Ultra 8R) already has the MX Core DSP. I think we'll also see interfaces with on-board fat channels and other FX stuff from AVID, maybe already at Musikmesse 2012 - together with a new version 10 of PTMP to finally match and fully utilize the capabilities of the interfaces (support the use of all I/Os etc.)(and with clip gain ).
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
Why discontinue 003 before there is a 004? Why kill LE before there's no other alternative than handing out $499 for the crossgrade to PT10. Because there will be no successors. MBox will also phase out.
I doubt that Avid would go out of its way to create a new Mbox line just to phase it out. The Mbox line is above the M-Audio line. The M-Audio line is more for musicians than the engineers and producers, that is where the MBox is focused on.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 AM

I would love to see something that is Rackmountable. Maybe 1U with DB25 connectors. I would love to see this happen.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
There are some good options out there, such as:

Liquid Sapphire 56
RME UFX
Aurora 8 and 16
And many more.

It would be nice to have something that would put the dollars into the hands of those that create the software we all use daily. Ideally with enough inputs to track a drum kit live. (12-16)
Had to bold that. Why ignore this market segment unless your already conceding its beyond your ability to service it? hopefully thats not true.
Why let other companies use your potential profits to expand thier presence at your expense. Being able to mike a kit's a big deal. At least include line ins up (to and over) the I/O limit. While we are at it why not a lightpipe preamp that supports SMUX and had 8 lines in case you have some nicer pre's.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Had to bold that. Why ignore this market segment unless your already conceding its beyond your ability to service it? hopefully thats not true.
Why let other companies use your potential profits to expand thier presence at your expense. Being able to mike a kit's a big deal. At least include line ins up (to and over) the I/O limit. While we are at it why not a lightpipe preamp that supports SMUX and had 8 lines in case you have some nicer pre's.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
I doubt that Avid would go out of its way to create a new Mbox line just to phase it out. The Mbox line is above the M-Audio line. The M-Audio line is more for musicians than the engineers and producers, that is where the MBox is focused on.
Poor musicians....(me). I have never owned an MAudio interface, but judging by the build quality of their other products, i wouldnt go near them. Or anything branded "M" for that matter.

After a failed midi interface, 2 sustain pedals, and a horrible keystation 88, I have learned my lesson.....Im never buying an M Audio product again.