Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Mbox 2 ASIO broken since 8.0.4

ASIO has been broken for the Mbox 2 since the 8.0.4 update. I imagine it's broken with 9 also since I'm told 9 uses the same drivers. I had hoped the 8.0.5 update would have resolved the problem but it obviously hasn't been done yet.

Here's a video demonstrating the problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB28_llyLMI

I would love to submit a support case like we used to be able to do but I'm not forking over $$ to do so.

This issue is 100% repeatable. Upon completely un-installing, and then re-installing 8.0.3, the ASIO driver works properly. Updating either to 8.0.4 or 8.0.5 breaks the ASIO driver.

Win XPsp3.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 ASIO broken since 8.0.4

Ok... you've demonstrated it not working... but you haven't demonstrated what you've done to try to make it work.

Have you reinstalled it? Have you reinstalled Pro Tools? Have you tried installing PT on a fresh install of W7?

Soooo many variables...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Gosh Dism, you're gonna make me jump through all the hoops too?

Yes, I've done the dance. Repeatedly. 8.0.3 ASIO works properly, anything beyond doesn't at least on XPsp3. I even found and demonstrated the setting in Reaper that seems to have a direct influence on the problem. That's more than enough to point a developer to where the problem might lay.

It's not a one-off issue. 8.0.4 forced the driver update compatible with PT9 and broke ASIO. Mayhaps the issue is really with Cockos and Ableton. But, they aren't the ones who made a change.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Gosh Dism, you're gonna make me jump through all the hoops too?

Yes, I've done the dance. Repeatedly. 8.0.3 ASIO works properly, anything beyond doesn't at least on XPsp3. I even found and demonstrated the setting in Reaper that seems to have a direct influence on the problem. That's more than enough to point a developer to where the problem might lay.

It's not a one-off issue. 8.0.4 forced the driver update compatible with PT9 and broke ASIO. Mayhaps the issue is really with Cockos and Ableton. But, they aren't the ones who made a change.
It's not that I want to make you do the dance... it's just that starting a new post stating that there is a problem without describing any troubleshooting you have performed is confusing and misleading to those who may be hearing about it/reading it for the first time.

Best thing anyone can do on these forums is be as detailed and specific as possible.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I even found and demonstrated the setting in Reaper that seems to have a direct influence on the problem. That's more than enough to point a developer to where the problem might lay.
But maybe the developer with the problem is Cockos and who you should be contacting.
You should uninstall Reaper and LIVE to see if the problem goes away.
If it does then re-install them one at a time to see which is the culprit.

I definitely don't trust Reaper.
I remember back when I installed it on my PowerBook it broke several of my applications.
Even simple ones like GarageBand.
Eventually just removed it.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 PM

squeak
squeak

And I can definitely confirm the non-boot issue after installing the 8.0.4 or 8.0.5 update. Perhaps during the iLok drivers install or something else there is something happening that from a cold boot (I think), the BIOS will throw a blue screen reporting that it has gone into hardware protect mode. Every time I did the re-install to 8.0.4 or 8.0.5, I subsequently had this boot crash within the next day. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292531 Every time this happened, I had to boot into the Recovery Console and run chkdsk. Chkdsk finds and fixes an error or two and then I can boot properly again.

Another bug discovered in 8.0.5 is the Alt key no longer works in tandem with the delete files dialog to bypass the warnings.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Have the same problem. Will reinstall it to version 8.0.3 and see if it works. But have the cd in a studio far from here, argh.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Avid

I'm going to look at this as soon as I can, but it may be a day or two, as there are a few other things I need to take care of first.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

DTS, thank you for taking an interest in this. I don't mean to make this a whine about PT 8 thread, but since I've got your ear, here are some things I've noticed recently.
Win XPsp3.
  1. Broken ASIO driver
  2. Boot crash after install (listed above)
  3. Region bin weirdness. Undoing a record pass leaves a region listed in the bin even though the source file has been deleted once the ability to redo has changed. This "ghost region" in bold will either do nothing, or it will reference a region in the next file recorded with the same name. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295313
  4. More region bin weirdness. Using the "Select>Unused Regions" or "Unused Regions Except Whole Files" commands fails to select all the unused regions. Saving, quitting and reopening the session will then allow these regions to be selected with those commands.
  5. I like to use Alt-A to zoom out and reset views. Sometimes, Alt-A opens the Audiosuite menu (Windows shortcut?) instead of zooming and resetting.
  6. Quickie mastering job. Source files on one track routed to another track for printing. I selected a source region for printing (20+ mins). When I came back, the print had completed but PT 8.0.4 had thrown some kind of error. When I okayed the error, the source file was now offline. I searched in the audio files folder and the source file was still there but it now had a different UniqueID than what PT was looking for.
  7. As of 8.0.5, the Alt key no longer functions with the Clear>Delete command to bypass all of the warning dialogs.
3, 4, 5 and 6 are not 100% repeatable and I have yet to figure out what triggers them to occur.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Avid

1. I'll look into this asap.
2. This is usually due to corrupt or old iLok drivers, or a problem with iLok driver install. You should try reinstalling (or doing a removal and reinstall) of the iLok drivers.
3. I'll look into this one as well.
4. Is it possible you have regions that would be referenced in the undo queue? That's usually what causes this - Pro Tools considers regions (or operations that would reference a region) as 'used' if it's in the undo queue, which is why quitting and relaunching will allow them to be selected, since the undo queue is cleared.
5. That's odd. Do you notice that you have other open windows when this occurs? Possibly open plug-in windows (which can steal keyboard focus)?
6. Do you recall the error? I don't want to speculate without some solid info...
7. I'll look into this as well.

Just out of curiousity - have you trashed prefs/databases and/or done any other troubleshooting? If not - can you do so and let me know if anything changes?

Also, does this occur in new sessions, old sessions or both?