Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Default crossfade bug? 9.0.3

Hi, I just updated to 9.0.3 and I can no longer create crossfades regardless of length of the selection I get the invalid bounds error message. In 9.0 I could create fades quite easily and I am not sure why I cannot. If you have any ideas let me know.

Mac Book Pro 2.5 penryn mac osx 10.6.8
Pro tools 9.0.3
apogee ensemble via FW400
Glyph gt050 via fw400 express card slot
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Default Re: crossfade bug? 9.0.3

O.k. so far I have tried updating to 9.0.5 and doing a clean install of 9.0. Still no crossfades. I still get the invalid bounds! Trashed preferences etc...

I dont understand how last week I could crossfade and now I cannot?

could this be a 10.6.8 thing?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Just to be sure, could you separate a piece of audio in half and see if it lets you crossfade the separation. Also have you tried creating the crossfade in the normal manner ( using cmd+f ) as well as doing it with the smart tool ?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks for your help but I still cannot create a crossfade. I have used the crossfade feature for 12 years and don't know why it suddenly will not function correctly. I used it just last week and it was fine.

Here is what I cannot do:

I over dubbed some bass parts and I am trying to crossfade to get rid of some pops created by the overdub. I highlight the two sections and hit command f and hit create then I get the error regardless of the length of the selection. I tried create a little gap of silence in between the overdubs and still no dice.

Here is what I can do:

If I create a gap in a solid waveform(no edits/overdubs) then highlight and crossfade it works. When I do the same thing on the overdubbed section it will not work and I get the error.

I even opened a old session where I crossfaded some overdubs previously and I still cannot crossfade on those old session! I get the same error.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Scott
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
If I create a gap in a solid waveform(no edits/overdubs) then highlight and crossfade it works. When I do the same thing on the overdubbed section it will not work and I get the error.
That sounds like there is simply not enough overlapping audio to create a crossfade. At the edit where it changes from the take to the overdub are you able to extend the overdub backwards with the trimmer tool ?

I know this may be obvious, but I've got to ask.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the help, but it doesn't matter what length the crossfade is, it still wont work. I can make it 60 second on each side of the files and it still say's there is not enough audio!

I tried with the smart tool and it will also not create a crossfade. It will create a very small end fade when I highlight part of both files.

Just to be clear here is how I normally do a crossfade:

I highlight part of both files with the middle being the splice. Hit crossfade and create. When I get the error and I click on adjust bounds and a crossfade will appear in the wrong spot on the right hand side of the highlighted selection only on one file. When I try to move it to cover both files it will not move between the two files. It will move away only.

This is weird because I can open a old session were I did the same crossfade on a overdub track. When I try it on a different spot on that same track It now will not work?

Thanks

Scott
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Humor me for a minute,

find one of these edits where it won't let you crossfade, select the trimmer tool and try pulling the audio preceding the edit later and also pulling the audio following the edit earlier. Can you do both of those operations ?

I'm asking you confirm this so as to narrow down wether it's a problem with Protools' crossfade function or wether it's a problem with the available audio data.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 AM

It worked!!! Thanks for the help. Moving the audio with the trim tool slightly forward or backwards allows me add a crossfade. Now I have to ask why is this so? I could have sworn this function worked for me quite well with M-powered but I may be wrong? When I copy and paste sections I can cross fade, but not with a overdub?

Thanks

Scott
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 AM

For a crossfade to work the audio file you are going from must have audio after the actual edit point and the audio file you are going to must have audio prior to the edit point.

It's difficult to explain clearly with words ( for me at least ), have a look at page 600 of the Protools reference guide for more info.

Glad you got it working by the way.