How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Win 7 - UA Apollo working, with Digidesign 003 as Midi input

Hello,

In Win 7, I finally got My Apollo UAD Quad to work with ProTools 10, and at the same time have the 003 at least be a midi input so I can use a keyboard to play midi stuff.
But it cannot be a control surface at the same time, I have to go to the Play back engine in setup and select the 003. But then I am not having the Apollo being the main audio interface and output.

I just want to have the Apollo be the main Playback engine, have the 003 be my control surface for faders and automation and transport controls and be my midi input interface.

I just can't seem to get the 003 to be the controller. I have tried setting the 003 to Midi Mode, but do not know that much about this mode and if there is any other setup in the 003 or ProTools. Plus when I press a button on the 003 it plays a midi note of the track that is selected. So some mapping is weird. It accepts the note from a keyboard hooked to the 003, but won't send the transport commands to PT.

Any help How I can have the best of both worlds would be swell. At least be able to use my faders and transport.

Thanks,
Danny

Win 7 Ultimate - ProTools 10 -- i7 cpu - 12 gigs Ram - Apollo UAD Quad - Digidesign 003.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Win 7 - UA Apollo working, with Digidesign 003 as Midi input

Any chance you have some insight to help me set that up, I just found the light pipe cables I needed, but I never set anything like this up. Looking around for articles but no luck yet, thought I would ask yoy.

Thanks,
Danny
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Win 7 - UA Apollo working, with Digidesign 003 as Midi input

Using the 003 for midi IO is silly when a good midi-USB box can be had for $59(MOTU FastLane USB 2x2 is a good choice). Some of us(at least me anyway) have been asking for a year for a firmware update for the 003 that would allow it to be used as a controller only. Unless that happens(and it doesn't look promising), I would sell the 003(while it still has some value) and use the cash to buy an Artist Mix or Artist Control. I expect that the Apollo is a much better sounding interface.(plus UA promises an updated driver this year that will allow 2 Apollo's to be ganged for double the IO(and most likely double the UA processing power).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave