Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Re: PT8 sync errors in AAF imports

Bruno, thanks for your reply. I'll definitely look into that in the future. For the time being, we just exported certain sections of the show as an OMF instead of an AAF and those problems are not present in the OMF, so I think we're going to survive this week after all.

Thank you,
Bryan
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I posted about the same problem here last month. (with no response to my offer to send in an offending aaf export)
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=264582

I had an aaf created in Avid MC4, where two out of 8 tracks slipped out of sync at a seemingly random point, about 20 minutes in, and from there to the end of the program. 23.976 timeline, the material also imported out of sync from the beginning. The same aaf imported into my MC4 brought everything in at the correct locations, without slippage. Just like headclog's post.

Slippage problems have occured since then, with two different clients, one of whom exported from Final Cut, and the timelines are all 23.976. The same problem occurred in December from an early version of FCP (that could not export volume automation). I had suspected the editor, but now I think it happened because of Pro Tools.

I have run into the exact same problems on my last two 23.976 FCP jobs, which are omf exports of course. We all know about the fact that the actual timecode positions are wrong, that is fixed by sliding the audio into sync. But, I have also found out of sync audio. The same symptoms, the audio suddenly is out of sync for no reason I can see.

My most recent omfs from two days ago exibited all of these symptoms, again. What's worse, we found numerous regions that appeared out of sync by one or two frames, but following regions were in sync again. I have no idea why or what, is the cause.

Something got broken. Any ideas Digi? How can we help you?

And while we're complaining, is there any way to get rid of those messages that tell us regions got dropped! I mean come on, at least tell us WHAT and WHERE.
Postman - here's a copy of my reply in your other thread:

Quote:
We'd definitely like to get our hands on it!

How would you like to get it to me? You can upload and post a link or maybe I could set up a dropbox, or get you Digidelivery info. Whatever is easiest...

Also, for future reference - cases like this should be submitted via our support request form.

I'm not always on and there's just no way for me to see every post here - truly important things like this should get a case, so we know for sure someone here will see it and can track it.
If anyone else would like to provide an AAF, please let me know and we'll work out the best way to do that.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Postman - here's a copy of my reply in your other thread:
The export files in question have long since been lost to Father Time. That was in January, this is now the end of May.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Avid

If anyone else who is experiencing this can get us one of the faulty AAF's, we'd really appreciate it. You can do so through the email support form, or contact me directly at: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Any news on this? Anyone else having this problem? I've sent a few different AAFs to vi @ , but I haven't heard anything in a month or so.

This problem still affects my work on a weekly basis.

thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM

I had some cases that I would describe the same as the OP:
-sequences slipping out of sync, mostly only 1 track is concerned, slip offset of some seconds.
-very rarely, regions were missing.
-all were AAF, referenced MXF audio
-all were from the same 5 AVIDs in the house (don't know the version), into a HD2 PT 7.4cs7 (!)
-cross checking in AVID showed the AAFs to be correct
-errors started in jan/feb 2010, the larger number of projects were OK