Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Default reverb questions

do you know of a good free or under $100 reverb plugin, like maybe a spring reverb or one that has only a couple knobs? Also, do you know if it is possible to use VST plugins in protools?

ps: I am using LE 7.4 on an intel mac mini with OSX leopard.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: reverb questions

Welcome to the DUC, clingerpratt.

This is the PT TDM forum. Please note that there is a forum dedicated to ProTools LE and its various hardware options (scroll down from from the DUC’s main page and you’ll see it). While most of the PT software is the same for both platforms, each has its own set of exclusive compatibility requirements, features, issues and problems. Therefore, most answers to such will vary also—highlighting the wisdom of posting on the appropriate forum. As for your questions…

It is indeed possible to use VST plug-ins within ProTools, but it requires the use of a so-called “wrapper” (an additional bit of software acting as a bridge between the two worlds).

FX Expansion’s VST to RTAS Adapter

I’m sure there are a few reverbs available out there for less than $100.- (especially in VST format) but none immediately come to mind. Someone else chime in, please. You might want to check eBay, Craig’s List (or any other sources of used gear) — where you’ll find plenty of offerings in your price range.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 AM

For instance, I'd like to tell you to try our DVerb, which comes with Pro Tools. But I don't know if it comes with LE.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 AM

D-verb is included with LE.. therefore free... and a good reverb. I do not think you will find an under 100.00 plug that sounds better. SB
Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 AM

Dverb should be in your insert menus, Did you install the free Bomb Factory and Digirack plugs When you installed Pro Tools? If you didn't you may want to go back and re install. It only takes a minute or so.

For the price (free) Dverb is pretty usable.

Andre is correct about getting your best LE answers in the LE forums.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

do you know of a good free or under $100 reverb plugin, like maybe a spring reverb or one that has only a couple knobs? Also, do you know if it is possible to use VST plugins in protools?

ps: I am using LE 7.4 on an intel mac mini with OSX leopard.

Go to www.pspaudioware.com and see what their EasyVerb looks like. I like its sound, but unfortunately it does not have TDM version available. (I'd love it if there was.)

VST-wrapper "works" on ProTools, but I don't want to recommend it as I don't even want to use RTAS. My sessions are now TDM-only and that's my decision; yours might be different.

I say it again: I hate the fact EasyVerb does not have TDM version available. Its "arena" algorithm is something to die for...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Don't be afraid of the VST-RTAS wrapper! It works a treat..even VST wrapped plugins often work better than their RTAS versions inside Pro Tools
Your best bet is to probably use a free plugin called SIR SIR Convolution and get one of the Spring impulses floating around ie: Noisevault

hope this gets you up and running!
Lifer
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram