Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2001, 08:06 AM

Default ADAT Sync

I AM TRYING TO COPY 24 ADAT TRACKS INTO PRO TOOLS 5.1 WITH JUST ONE ADAT. I AM DOING 8 TRACKS AT A TIME BUT I CAN ONLY GET THE FIRST 8 TRACKS TO SYNC UP. HOW TO I GET THE OTHER 16 TRACKS TO SYNC UP? I AM STARTING ALL THE TAPES AT THE SAME LOCATION. IS THERE A WAY TO HOOK 3 ADATS TO PRO TOOLS SO I CAN DO ALL 24 TRACKS AT ONCE? I HAVE A BRC REMOTE IF THAT HELPS. I AM A BEGINER AT THIS SO IF SOMEONE COULD EXPLAIN IT IN TERMS I CAN UNDERSTAND I WOULD BE VERY THANKFULL.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:24 AM

Default Re: ADAT Sync

idehd,
There are a few ways to address this. If you have a way to blow in 24 tracks at a time analog, then just get 3 ADATS and sync them and let 'em rip. To transfer 8 at a time you need a MTC to ADAT sync converter. There are a few out there, MOTU, Opcode, JL Cooper. I have a Opcode Studio 64 xct that is a major pain in the a**. I posted for some help with it but no response. I am doing a session exactly like yours. I sync them up manualy.
First you blow the tracks in 8 at a time, leaving a little extra room at the top of the session. Disregard that they are not in sync. In the edit window, pick a track with some good tempo info,(snare, overhead). Drag it to track 8. Then pick a track from the next 8 tracks that you can hear some of the same info on. Drag it to track 9, select 9-16 and use the scrubber tool between tracks 8 and 9. Grab the selected tracks and get them to a reletivly close time frame, then zoom in and start fine tuning by "nudging" the selected tracks. Listen for the phasing that will let you know when they are in sync. Once those are locked bring the next 8 tracks in and repeat. It will take a little time to get the feel of it, but once you do it's fairly quick to do. I do it all the time with very good results.
You can also lightpipe, via a MOTU 2408, 24 tracks at a time. Then import the audio files into a Pro Tools session. I borrowed one and did this one time with good results. Hope this helps, good luck.
duffy
Old 04-05-2001, 11:29 AM

Your best bet for tight lock is to get a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV. It will allow you to control your ADAT from your PT transport. It locks very tightly. It's as easy as selecting the start time that you want to record, and hitting play and record. PT will back up or forward your ADAT to the right spot and wait until it gets there. Once it's there it'll start recording. It's pretty slick. If you do this regularly you should really check into this box.
Jerry
Nashville, TN
Old 04-05-2001, 11:54 AM

Hello PT2G,
What's your settings for PT and DP with MTP AV and cable wiring to do such ADAT transfering ? You mean PT as the master while slaving the DP using MTP AV ?
I have the same problems and I have MTP AV, PT, ADAT Bridge, USD...
Thanks in advance !
Old 04-05-2001, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure what DP is (Digital Performer?), but here is the setup with Protools.

Adat sync cable from MTP AV to Adat. I would run a word clock cable (256x) from MTP to the ADAT Bridge. Lightpipe out of ADAT into ADAT Bridge.

Set MTP to internal clock. Set word clock out to Digi.

In Protools go to setups/peripherals/machine control. Enable machine control. I'm assuming you have OMS setup. Set to send to MTP A/V.
Once that is setup you won't have to mess with it again.

Your setup for dumping stuff into PT will be as simple as setting your session start in session setup window to the start of the song.
Put PT online (command-J). Record and Play (command-spacebar). Oh yeah, record enable 8 trks with the proper inputs. That's kinda important

If everything is connected right PT will control the ADAT through the MTP. It will back up the tape if needed and once it's locked up will start recording at the specified time.

It's the setup that takes the time. After that, it's a matter of a few clicks and you're off.

You can email me directly if you have any other questions.
Jerry
Nashville, TN
[email protected]
Old 04-06-2001, 11:10 AM

I bought the Studio 64xtc to do exactly what Jerry described. Does anyone know if the same scenario as the MOTU will work with the Opcode. Of course Opcode is kaput, so I get nowhere with them and I just can't seem to get this thing to do what it is intended to. But the sessions won't wait so untill I can get it happenin' "I'm manual sync baby"
duffy
Old 04-07-2001, 08:08 PM

Duffy,
I've used the Studio 64XTC to sync Pro Tools and Adat, and it definitely works -- though it's temperamental. I haven't done it in a while, so I don't remember exactly how you need to set up the various parameters in your PT session and in OMS, but I know for a fact that it works. I'll be doing Adat transfers in sync next week, so if you still need help, please get in touch with me.
Good luck,
Paul Verna
Old 04-09-2001, 09:38 AM

Paul,
Thanks for the response, I will email you next week after you have done your transfer and seen it in action again.
duffy
Old 04-10-2001, 02:20 PM

Just got an LX20 last week. My Studio 64 died on me last week, so I put the peice of crap in the trash and grabbed my friends MTP AV. Works like a charm, except for the fact that I have to give him his TimePeice back and I have to buy a new one.....

It took a phone call to Pro Access, but here is the setup:

OMS: Once it locates your time peice, make a new device. Make it Alesis, ADAT, check both Sends and Recieves Midi Time Code and Midi Machine Control and Recieves Channels 1. Leave everything else alone. Sent the port to 9 (the little number next to the ADAT icon).

NEXT: OMS Preferences, make sure "Use Apple SerialDMA driver when avaliable" is not checked. This caused the machine to fast forward and never play.

PROTOOLS Settings:
Peripherals, Synchronization:
Set the Device to "Generic MTC Reader", set the Port to "MidiTimePeice-Modem". Min Synce Delay, "30 frames". "Enable Control of ProTools Via MMC", leave unchecked.

NEXT: Peripherals, Machine Control:
Enable, then set Send To to "Adat LX20" or what ever model you choose. ID should be "127", Preroll, "90 frames".

Now all you should have to do is put ProTools "On Line" in the trasport and you should be good to go...

Best of luck!

Newnan, GA 30265
Voice 770.252.0058
Fax 770.252.0082
2-Way 800.408.2032
[email protected]
http://www.dj2ndnature.com

[This message has been edited by Brett Belcastro (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old 04-11-2001, 09:00 AM

I JUST BOUGHT THE MOTU MIDI TIMEPIECE AV. HOW DO I HOOK IT UP TO MY ADATS AND DIGI-001. HOW DO I CONFIGURE IN PRO TOOLS. AND HOW DO I SETUP THE TIMEPIECE?