Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
I have a quick question regarding the specs of the Allenstein Machine....

We did not do our homework before (shame on us) and purchased a Dell 4700 --- loaded with what we thought would be great technology for our 16 year old son to begin his entry into the recording world with MBox and ProTools 6.7. We learned the hard way the incompatibility issues with Intel Pentium 4 chipsets . Fortunately, Dell is taking back the computer and we searching for another option. Son is getting quite impatient, but Mom does not want to make the same mistake twice.

I have printed off the specs of the Allenstein. My question is......if we want a slightly less expensive machine (he is ONLY 16 and we are not sure that this interest will last), are there some specs on the machine that are set in stone, but perhaps others that be substituted for a less expensive choice? For example -- the machine specs for processor is Athlon 64 3700 --- would the 3200 be just as good for our purposes?

Mind you, I am not terribly computer "hardware" literate (although I have learned a lot over this past week with the ProTools scenario)....so any "plain english" advice you could give would be GREAT.

Thank you so very much!
Brian and Mom
you don't need a 3700+. Check this deal out, it ends soon though...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...u=MBM-K8V-3400
that's a 2.4 ghz A64 with the Allenstein recommended motherboard for $200. You have to deal with mail in rebates, but those are easy if you:
-follow the directions. If you don't do this, don't expect your rebates.
-mail things on time. If you don't do this, don't expect your rebates.
-make 2 copies of all documents before you send them off. Rebate details state that they can ask for re-submission of proof. Have it ready, they will accept copies for re-submission.

Don't even consider the mac mini, those things are overpriced and low powered.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Thanks DJ... Excellent opportunity!

Just called Tiger... Wouldn't you know it, the motherboard is not in stock and no idea when more will be in stock. Did you guys beat me to it?

Be prepared to buy a fan separate, this is not the Retail CPU package.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Hello.

I have a question about Athlon 64 processors. I am looking at several options for a mobo/CPU combo. I have narrowed it down to either a 3200 or 3000 processor. I would like to know if there is a huge drop off in performance between the two, as the price suggests. The motherboards I am looking at are the Asus K8V-X (Via K8T800 chipset), or the Asus K8N (nVidia nForce3 chipset). What would be the best combination for me? Any advice would be great, because I have no idea what I am even looking at. I don't know what a chipset is! I have a firewire PCI card, and a dual monitor card PCI card as well.
I use Pro Tools mostly for small projects, but I do use Reason, and Sample Tank on a lot of my personal projects, if that helps at all.
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2005, 01:48 PM

I am wondering why you posted the Digimax 96 as for gear addicts only. Reading the description it seems to have it all, especially how it will record at 96, a limitation of the digimax LT that you recommend as well. Is the Digimax 96 too much front end? Is it an all in one gimmic? It looks pretty sweet. Little help for a newbie.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:15 PM

I opted for the 96 because of the higher sample rate. Not that I even use it but I could. What you need to do is get the s/pdif breakout cable and one of these and you can get a nice submix say drums for instance at 96k. These mic pres' should not have to sit on the bench for high sample rate.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-30-2005, 07:01 PM

Perhaps this has been asked before, but I've dug through enough of this thread to not feel so guilty about asking a potentialy redundant question! I've recently bought and assembled the cheaper Allenstein machine. Has anyone else had issues with an SATA drive not being recognized when installing XP? I've used the drivers downloaded from WD's site, but no help. In BIOS, though my motherboard has SATA slots, it doesn't even list SATA as an option for primary/slave drive. I know the drive is getting power, and I've done all that Western Digital suggests. I suspect it's something on the motherboard end.

I'm currently trying to get a hold of Asus to find out what they say, but I'm having some issues with their tech support page which doesn't work. Ironic, eh? So, am I alone in this, or are their others out there who had trouble getting their SATA drive to work on their motherboard built to use with SATA drives?

Thanks!

the major players:
Asus A7V600-X
WD 80GB SATA 7200
AMD XP 2800
Old 05-01-2005, 09:58 AM

Hey Violone

I have an ASUS A7V600 - I had big time SATA issues - took hours to figure out! Finally I had to re-install an older version of my WIndows (XP Pro) - pre service pack 1 - and then install service pack 2. This seemed to work - will have to check my BIOS and see if I did anything different, but that's all pretty standard as far as I can see. I think I had to download the latest SATA/SCSI driversfrom the ASUS site - also try updating your VIA 4-in-1 driver pack. Hope this helps - will post more info if I find any!

L8R

Doogz
Old 05-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Hello.

I have a question about Athlon 64 processors. I am looking at several options for a mobo/CPU combo. I have narrowed it down to either a 3200 or 3000 processor. I would like to know if there is a huge drop off in performance between the two, as the price suggests. The motherboards I am looking at are the Asus K8V-X (Via K8T800 chipset), or the Asus K8N (nVidia nForce3 chipset). What would be the best combination for me? Any advice would be great, because I have no idea what I am even looking at. I don't know what a chipset is! I have a firewire PCI card, and a dual monitor card PCI card as well.
I use Pro Tools mostly for small projects, but I do use Reason, and Sample Tank on a lot of my personal projects, if that helps at all.
Thanks!
I originally bought a 3000+ and K8V-X, my DaveC results are posted a few pages back (32+17aux at 2.1ghz...overclocked a little). The system ran perfectly, but I wasn't happy about the ram limitations of the board (full speed with a max 768 MB of ram, slower speed with more ram) or the board's lack of PCI/AGP lock which kills its overclocking potential (I'm an overclocker at heart).

I saw the deal at Tiger Direct for a 3400+ for $129 and jumped on it, I also bought a K8N at that time. With the processor overclocked to 2.52 ghz (not a very good overclcoking CPU). I'm now getting 32+28aux on the DaveC test. The K8N and the K8V-X seem to both run the same, only the K8N will use 1 GB of ram and retain it's FSB speed.

Computers and Windows love me though, I'm not guaranteeing you won't have problems. I have formatted and installed Windows at least 30 times, I have been performance tweeking systems and Windows for over 4 years now. I am a person that believes 99% of computer/Windows problems are caused by the user...

to sum it up:
-2.1 ghz A64 = 32 + 17 aux
-2.52 ghz A64 = 32 + 28 aux
Old 05-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this has been asked before, but I've dug through enough of this thread to not feel so guilty about asking a potentialy redundant question! I've recently bought and assembled the cheaper Allenstein machine. Has anyone else had issues with an SATA drive not being recognized when installing XP? I've used the drivers downloaded from WD's site, but no help. In BIOS, though my motherboard has SATA slots, it doesn't even list SATA as an option for primary/slave drive. I know the drive is getting power, and I've done all that Western Digital suggests. I suspect it's something on the motherboard end.

I'm currently trying to get a hold of Asus to find out what they say, but I'm having some issues with their tech support page which doesn't work. Ironic, eh? So, am I alone in this, or are their others out there who had trouble getting their SATA drive to work on their motherboard built to use with SATA drives?

Thanks!

the major players:
Asus A7V600-X
WD 80GB SATA 7200
AMD XP 2800
Are you using the most current Bios? Are you installing the SATA drivers using F6 at the beginning of the Windows installation process? Sata drivers do not come form Western Digital, they come from Via who makes your chipset. You need to put the Sata/Raid drivers on a floppy for Windows to use during install.

http://usa.asus.com/support/download...lName=A7V600-X (3rd from bottom)
Old 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Allan first up a big thanx for putting this together, over the years this has been a valuable thread for many!
I need to build a new PC for my 001 and below is a list of the parts I CAN get [they are very similar to the original list]...I'm in Australia and some parts are very similar but I cannot find that exact list
if yourself or ANYONE could tell me if these will work ok together that would be great!..thanks in advance...Dave

Note: Prices are in Aussie dollars

PROC $419
http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreIn...-3500&page=cpu

ASUS BOARD $218
http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreIn...ge=motherboard

CASES $64
http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreIn...C115&page=case

RAM $89 each
http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreIn...EM&page=memory

VIDEO CARD $79
http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreIn...page=videocard

HARD DRIVES $85 each