Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 AM

Unhappy 9.0.6 update - MIDI editing bug

Updated to 9.0.6 from 9.0.5 - Now when dragging a midi pattern from a virtual drum plug-in like Addictive drums/EZ Drummer an additional staff is created with the pattern. Each time another pattern is added, another staff is created. Also seeing that when this happens, hovering over a note causes the plugin to blink. Other behavior like when moving notes on the staff they are being created on a new staff.

If I exit PT and come back into the same session, the problem is gone, but, if another pattern is dragged to the track, it happens again.

I've tried creating a new session with just 1 instrument track and the problem still happens.

Basically, MIDI editing is hosed when using the method of dragging midi patterns in from a virtual instrument onto a instrument track.

Anyone else experience this same behavior after installing the 9.0.6 update?

I suppose I will have to completely uninstall and reinstall Pro(longing my agony) Tools. Not really what I had in mind, I was on a creative roll until 9.0.5 started to hang at "Initializing Database" upon loading. The only thing changed on my computer was installing the 9.0.6 update. I guess I thought installing 9.0.6 was going to fix that problem but in hind sight I see I probably could have just deleted my database folder to correct that problem.

Windows 7 64bit, Intel Corei7, 12GB RAM
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Default Re: 9.0.6 update - MIDI editing bug

I don't use grooves from drum modules etc, or for that matter the Score Editor much. So I can't confirm this is something new or not. However, I have found this happening in my Score Editor as well (additional staff being added for every MIDI region dragged from a plug-in) in v9.0.6 (on my MacBook Pro, I'll try later on my HD3 system). I found this to happen with Steven Slate Drums v4, Addictive Drums, and Kontakt/Studio Drummer. I can also confirm the Score Editor returned to normal when the session was closed and re-opened.

I did not have the problem of the plug-in blink when hovering over a note, but I only tried this when the transport was not moving.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Exclamation Re: 9.0.6 update - MIDI editing bug

Thanks Chris!

This confirms that the bug exists in both Windows and Macintosh.

Based on this finding I highly recommend that no one use the 9.0.6 update, that is, not unless the benefit of one of the documented fixes in 9.0.6 out weighs the ability to be able to sanely edit MIDI tracks using the MIDI editor.

I suppose one could use the MIDI event editor to edit MIDI. However I personally am much more productive when working with the musical staff.

So - I am now gettting on to the not so fun task of uninstalling and reinstalling.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Submit a bug report to IdeaScale.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM

I uninstalled and reinstalled, stopped at 9.0.3. The bug is still there. It wasn't there prior to 9.0.6 update, I was on 9.0.5 doing fine. No other changes were made to my system.

What this probably means is that since 9.0.6 caused this problem, the 9.0.6 update did something to my OS enviroment, otherwise, backing down to PT 9.0.3 should have made the issue go away. It's Very Very interesting that the same thing happens with a Macintosh.

A sloppy workaround is to create another track, do the dragging and dropping into that track, then copy/paste into the original track. You may need to toggle notation on/off to make disappearing notes reappear.

A minor update should not do this, a full image backup of a system on standby would have been nice to have but the in case of a minor update catastrophy is rediculous. This is like expecting the neck to break off my guitar when tuning up.

filosofem: What is IdeaScale? Why would I want to do that?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John003 View Post
What is IdeaScale? Why would I want to do that?
So Avid can be informed and implement a fix. That is one of the objectives of IdeaScale.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Avid has already been informed.

A case has been opened. The tech seemed to completely understand the whole issue, admitted it was bug, even duplicated the problem in his own PT10. But then wrote the incident up like it was a unique situation and blamed it on my video card.

I don't see how a glaring problem like this, which is basically corruption within the midi notation editor, can get past QC.

At this point there are at least 3 different computers, a Macintosh run by a certified PT Instructor/Expert, my Intel Core i7, and the Avid tech's computer running PT10, all with the same issue. The Avid tech even saw where if you exit and come back in, the corruption is gone, but then blames it on my video card? I don't know how much of this intellectual abuse I can take.

Does Cubase have this feature? If this isn't fixed soon I'll probably be shelving PT and going to another product.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John003 View Post
Avid has already been informed.
Take a number and get in line.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Angry Re: 9.0.6 update - MIDI editing bug

Once again you have a vague comment. Why don't you go get in another line? You should enter your next comment at IdeaScale.

I already got in line, rode the ride, and it's over. It was no fun.

Cubase 6 is looking sweet. Eff this pro tools junk.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM

I think you have misunderstood what is meant by that phrase. You are not the only user with a bug to see fixed. Threatening to do this or do that is not going to get the bug fixed. You have submitted the bug, good for you, now you will need to be patient.